Classical mechanics - finding distance D in terms of velocity

In summary, a passenger falls a distance of v when exiting an airplane with air resistance in the form of a linear force.
Rumor

Homework Statement

"A passenger (mass m) initially at rest steps out of an airplane. Assume down is the positive x-axis and put the origin at the airplane. Assume the air resistance force is linear in the velocity so F(air)= -mbv. Find the distance D he has fallen when his velocity is v."

Homework Equations

Equations of motion

The "vdv/dx trick": d2z/dt2 = (z-dot)*(d(z-dot)/dz)

F(tot) = ma

F(air) = -mbv

Weight = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's how far I've gotten:

Since the skydiver is only falling in the x direction, there's only one equation of motion, which I found to be ma = -mbv + mg [or, alternatively, m(x-double dot) = -mb(x-dot) + mg]. Now, I know I want the relation of distance and velocity, without time, so I use the "vdv/dx" trick (so that there's no longer time in the equation).

That makes this mv*(dv/dx) = -mbv + mg, or m(x-dot)*(d(x-dot)/dx) = -mb(x-dot) + mg. I rearranged this to get dx = (-m/b)*(vdx/v-(mg/b)), where -(mg/b) is the terminal velocity.
I'm sorry for all the writing, but am I correct so far? And how do I continue to solve the problem from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, divide through by m to simplify the expression a bit. Secondly, can you separate variables, i.e have things with "v" on one side and "x" on the other?

First, since m is common to every term, I would eliminate that to make things easier. Next, you have vdv/dx = g-bv. Try to isolate v and dv on one side, and dx on the other side.

Alright, so...

I went back and simplified what I had first and ended up with v(dv/dx) = -bv - g. So, after isolating dz, I end up with dz = -(vdv/(bv+g)).

Now, I know my next step is to integrate this, but I'm not sure what the limits would be.

The problem tells you what the limits should be.

"A passenger (mass m) initially at rest steps out of an airplane. Assume down is the positive x-axis and put the origin at the airplane. Assume the air resistance force is linear in the velocity so F(air)= -mbv. Find the distance D he has fallen when his velocity is v."

Related to Classical mechanics - finding distance D in terms of velocity

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects at the macroscopic level, using the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. How do I find the distance D in terms of velocity?

To find the distance D in terms of velocity, you can use the equation D = vt, where v is the velocity and t is the time taken to cover the distance. This equation is derived from the definition of velocity, which is the rate of change of distance over time.

3. What units should I use for velocity and distance?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), while distance is measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km). It is important to use consistent units when solving problems involving velocity and distance.

4. Can I use classical mechanics to calculate the distance for objects moving at high speeds?

Yes, classical mechanics can be used to calculate the distance for objects moving at high speeds. However, at very high speeds (close to the speed of light), relativistic effects must be taken into account and classical mechanics may not accurately predict the behavior of the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using classical mechanics to find distance?

Classical mechanics is most accurate for objects that are moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light, and in systems where the effects of quantum mechanics are negligible. It is not applicable in situations where these limitations do not hold, such as at the atomic or subatomic level.