Classical Mechanics - Find angular velocity of two rods

In summary, the homework statement says that a system of two rods rotate around a point. The angular velocity at the point when the longest rod is vertical is found.
Mikkel

Homework Statement

Hello!
I apologize for my poor setup, first post.
I am given a system of two rods, hope you can see my image.http://file:///C:/Users/Mikkel/Downloads/Mek2_exam_Jan2016_final.pdf
One along the x-axis with mass = 2m and length = 2l
Another perpendicular with the other with mass = m and length = l

The system rotate around a point O

Find the angular velocity at the point when the systems longest rod is vertical.

Homework Equations

I have calculated the center of mass rcm = ( (4/3)*l , (1/6)*l )

and the distance from pivot point to the center of mass = (1/6) * sqrt(65) * l

Also the moment of inertia for the system = 7*m*l2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the following so far:

I tried to use conservation of energy to solve it:

m*g*h + 0 = 0 + (1/2)*I*w2

I am thinking that I have a total of mass 3
and the height has to be the x-coordinate for center of mass (I think this is where I might be wrong?)

3*m*g*(4/3)*l = (1/2)*7*m*l2 * ω2

after a bit of calculations...

ω = sqrt((8*g)/(7*l))

However my facit says ω = sqrt((9*g)/(7*l))

I can't figure it out!

Appreciate any tips ! :)

Attachments

• rods.PNG
    rods.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 453
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mikkel said:
3*m*g*(4/3)*l = (1/2)*7*m*l2 * ω2
You have omitted a contribution to the change in height of the mass centre.

haruspex said:
You have omitted a contribution to the change in height of the mass centre.

Hmm I don't see how. I was thinking that, when the rod is vertical the height is zero.

Draw a diagram and mark the location of the center of mass at the initial and final positions.

TSny said:
Draw a diagram and mark the location of the center of mass at the initial and final positions.
Ah you are a god damn genius sir!

So the center of mass changes to (3/4) * l when it is vertical and then it becomes (9g/7l)
Thank you!

It is rather simpler if you do not bother finding the mass centre of the L shape. Just work out and sum the two moments of inertia, and likewise the two changes in PE.

Related to Classical Mechanics - Find angular velocity of two rods

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of physical objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation established by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. How is angular velocity defined?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or spinning about a fixed point. It is defined as the change in angular displacement over time, and is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

3. How do you calculate the angular velocity of two rods?

To calculate the angular velocity of two rods, you will need to know the distance between the two rods, their masses, and their respective moments of inertia. You can then use the equation ω = v/r = mvr/I, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, r is the distance between the rods, m is the mass of the rod, and I is the moment of inertia.

4. Can the angular velocity of two rods change?

Yes, the angular velocity of two rods can change. This can happen if there is a change in the distance between the rods, a change in their masses, or if an external force is applied to one or both of the rods. The change in angular velocity can be calculated using the equation ω2 - ω1 = αt, where ω2 is the final angular velocity, ω1 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval over which the change occurs.

5. What factors affect the angular velocity of two rods?

The angular velocity of two rods can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the rods, their masses, the moments of inertia, and the external forces acting on them. Other factors that can impact the angular velocity include the presence of friction, air resistance, and the shape and size of the rods. Additionally, the angular velocity can also be affected by the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque acts on it.