Classical Mechanics and Net Displacement

In summary, the person is looking for help with Classical Mechanics and specifically net displacement. They attempted to do some calculations but did not understand the formulas. They are new to calculus and it may be difficult for them to understand the equation.
Nicol
Hello, people of the physics forums. I'm trying to get a grasp on physics, and I have come to my first real roadblock. I'm looking at Classical Mechanics, and more specifically, net displacement.

On http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node20.html, I have attempted a set of questions, which are answered. I have completed the first two, and do not understand the final one. I don't know what a v-t curve is, and how to find net displacement of this, although I have been searching online for a good week now. I have attempted to get the areas for the various shapes within the graph, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, I really should have put this in the "Classical Physics" section. My mistake.

Is it just me, or is the answer not given on that page? A v-t, or velocity-time graph is a graph of velocity plotted agsinst time, like that one at the top of the page. The first equation in the solution says that v=dx/dt, and so we see that the net displacement, x, is

[tex] x = \int_0^{16}v(t)dt [/tex] shown in the second equation. The integral of a function, is simply the area under the curve, so calculating the area under the curve of the v-t graph at the top of the page gives the result.

I'm not sure whether this helps you, as I've more or less just stated what's in the solution!

Yeah. I don't actually understand the formula. I don't understand what the variables in the formula represent, and

Yeah. I don't actually understand the formula. I don't understand what the variables in the formula represent. I don't understand exactly where the curve of the v-t graph is.

This is what I get for being interested in physics after I have left school.

Ok, well the curve of the v-t graph is just the line plotted (mathematicians often call straight lines "curves") In the formula, x is the displacement, v is the velocity and t is time. The formula v(t)=dx/dt just says that velocity is the rate of change of position. Have you come across calculus before? If so, integrating this expression yields the formula [tex] x = \int_0^{16}v(t)dt [/tex] where the numbers on the integral sign are the intial and final values of t.

I think at that level it is very misleading to introduce calculus. For one thing the curve is not continuous which adds minor complications. Secondly it is easier to state that the distance traveled is really the area under the graph and I'm sure you can work out areas of basic figures such as squares and triangles. I'd say just ignore the calculus part until you have a deeper understanding of the mathematics involved.

So in summary the distance traveled on a velocity - time graph is mearely the area under the curve.

Thankyou for your help.

Related to Classical Mechanics and Net Displacement

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that govern it, primarily at the macroscopic scale. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is net displacement?

Net displacement is the overall change in position of an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by finding the difference between the final and initial positions of an object.

3. How is classical mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It provides the basic principles and laws that govern the motion of objects and systems, which are then applied to more complex phenomena in these other branches.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position of an object from its starting point to its end point. It takes into account both direction and magnitude. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that measures the total length of the path traveled by an object without considering direction.

5. How is net displacement calculated?

To calculate net displacement, you need to know the initial position and final position of an object. From there, you can find the difference between the two positions, taking into account direction. This can be done using basic vector addition, where the net displacement is the resultant vector of the individual displacements in each direction.