Classical and quantum polarization

In summary, the conversation is about the process of obtaining a two-component quantum polarization from a classical four-vector polarization. The speaker asks for more explanation and clarification of the question. The other person responds by stating that classical EM waves also have only two independent possible polarizations, but the question lacks enough detail for a thorough answer.
mtak0114
Hi
I would like to know how you get from the classical 4-vector polarization
to the two component quantum polarization?

thank you

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
mtak0114 said:
Hi
I would like to know how you get from the classical 4-vector polarization
to the two component quantum polarization?

You might want to rephrase your question to include more detail,
since it's not very clear what you're really asking. I'm guessing
you're interested in something about the 2-component polarization
of photons and maybe neutrinos, but... hmm... I'm not sure from your
question.

yes I am interested in how one gets a 2-component polarization of a photon (which represents a quantum bit) from a 4-component classical polarization vector.

thanks

mtak0114 said:
yes I am interested in how one gets a 2-component polarization of a photon (which represents a quantum bit) from a 4-component classical polarization vector.

A classical EM wave also has only two independent possible polarizations.

(I.e., you're still not giving enough background/detail in your question to enable
a satisfactory answer.)

Related to Classical and quantum polarization

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is the phenomenon where the direction of electric fields in a light wave becomes restricted to certain planes. This can occur through the interaction of light with certain materials or through the manipulation of light using special filters.

2. What is classical polarization?

Classical polarization refers to the polarization of light described by classical electromagnetism. This means that the electric and magnetic fields are continuous and can vary in intensity and direction. Classical polarization is typically observed in macroscopic objects and follows the laws of classical physics.

3. What is quantum polarization?

Quantum polarization refers to the polarization of light described by quantum mechanics. In this case, the electric and magnetic fields are quantized and can only take on certain discrete values. Quantum polarization is typically observed in microscopic objects and follows the laws of quantum mechanics.

4. How are classical and quantum polarization different?

The main difference between classical and quantum polarization is in the way the electric and magnetic fields are described. In classical polarization, the fields are continuous and can take on any value, while in quantum polarization, the fields are quantized and can only take on certain discrete values. Additionally, classical polarization is typically observed in macroscopic objects, while quantum polarization is observed in microscopic objects.

5. What are some applications of classical and quantum polarization?

Classical polarization is commonly used in everyday objects such as sunglasses, 3D movies, and LCD screens. It also has applications in telecommunications, where polarized light is used to transmit signals. Quantum polarization, on the other hand, has applications in quantum computing and quantum cryptography, where the discrete nature of the fields is utilized for secure communication and information processing.