Clarifying the Cooling Stages of a Carnot Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Carnot engines and the confusion surrounding the cooling stages of the Carnot cycle. It is clarified that work needs to be done to restore the system back to its initial state, but it doesn't necessarily have to be part of the work output from the earlier part of the process. The conversation also presents a thought experiment involving a balloon and an object to further understand the concept of work being done on the object during both the forward and backward cycles.
tiredryan
Note this is more of a coursework question about the theory behind Carnot engines as opposed to an actual homework question.

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am reading the theory behind a Carnot Engine and I am a little confused about the cooling stages of the Carnot cycle. This is steps 3 and 4 called, "Reversible isothermal compression of the gas at the "cold" temperature, TC" and "Isentropic compression of the gas(isentropic work input)" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle#The_Carnot_cycle.

From my reading, it seems to be that some work has to be done on the system to return the piston to its lower volume stage. Basically part of the work that was created to push the piston out is used to return the piston back in. Is this a correct understanding?

If so, I am confused when thinking about the following thought experiment. Let's imagine that I had a balloon filled with gas connected to a shaft connected to an object I wanted to apply work on. When I place the balloon in a hot bath the balloon expands and the shaft moves and the object moves. The the shaft pushes the object over a distance and work is done on the object. When I switch out the balloon into cold water, the balloon shrinks and the object moves back. The object is moved by the force applied from the shaft and work is done on the object again. So in the forward cycle and the backward cycle work is being done to push the object. When I move the balloon cold water, I do not need to apply any addition work, but rather work is being done to the object of interest.

I am not sure where my confusion stems. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tiredryan said:
From my reading, it seems to be that some work has to be done on the system to return the piston to its lower volume stage. Basically part of the work that was created to push the piston out is used to return the piston back in. Is this a correct understanding?
Essentially yes. Work has to be done to restore the system back to its initial state, but it doesn't necessarily have to be part of the work output from the earlier part of the process.

If so, I am confused when thinking about the following thought experiment. Let's imagine that I had a balloon filled with gas connected to a shaft connected to an object I wanted to apply work on. When I place the balloon in a hot bath the balloon expands and the shaft moves and the object moves. The shaft pushes the object over a distance and work is done on the object. When I switch out the balloon into cold water, the balloon shrinks and the object moves back. The object is moved by the force applied from the shaft and work is done on the object again. So in the forward cycle and the backward cycle work is being done to push the object. When I move the balloon cold water, I do not need to apply any addition work, but rather work is being done to the object of interest.

I am not sure where my confusion stems. Thanks in advance.
It's implied in your description that the object comes to rest in between the two phases. As it decelerates, it's doing work on the gas. Also, when the gas cool, it will contract only if something outside does work. In this case, both the balloon and the outside atmosphere will perform work, and part of the work goes into accelerating the object.

I can provide some clarification on the Carnot engine theory and address your confusion about the cooling stages.

Firstly, it is important to understand that a Carnot engine is a theoretical model and does not necessarily represent a real-life engine. It is used as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real engines. In a Carnot engine, the cooling stages involve the gas being compressed isothermally (at a constant temperature) and isentropically (without any heat transfer). This is done in order to maintain the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, which is necessary for the engine to operate.

To address your specific question about the work done in the cooling stages, it is correct that some work is required to return the piston to its lower volume stage. This work is done by the engine itself, as it is being driven by the heat transfer from the hot reservoir. This work is necessary to maintain the temperature difference and to keep the engine running. In the thought experiment you described, the work being done on the object is actually being done by the engine, and not by the balloon itself.

It is also important to note that in the Carnot cycle, the efficiency of the engine is determined by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, and not by the specific work done in the cooling stages. This means that the work done in the cooling stages may not necessarily be equal to the work done in the heating stages, as long as the temperature difference is maintained.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of the Carnot engine theory. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Clarifying the Cooling Stages of a Carnot Engine

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a thermodynamic cycle that consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression. It serves as a model for understanding the limitations of real engines and the principles of thermodynamics.

2. Who developed the Carnot engine theory?

The Carnot engine theory was developed by French engineer and physicist, Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot, in 1824. He published his ideas in a book titled "Reflections on the Motive Power of Fire."

3. What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the equation: efficiency = (Th - Tc) / Th, where Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir and Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir. The maximum efficiency of a Carnot engine is 1 - (Tc / Th), which is known as the Carnot efficiency.

4. What are the limitations of the Carnot engine?

The Carnot engine is a theoretical model that assumes ideal conditions, such as perfect insulation and no friction. In reality, these conditions are not achievable, making it impossible to build a perfect Carnot engine. Additionally, the Carnot engine is limited by the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs, as the efficiency decreases as the temperature difference between the two decreases.

5. How is the Carnot engine used in real-life applications?

Although the Carnot engine is not practical to build, its principles are used in real-life applications, such as power plants and refrigeration systems. The Carnot cycle serves as a reference for determining the maximum efficiency of these systems, and engineers use it as a benchmark to improve the efficiency of real engines.