Clarifying ODE/PDE Integration and Conditions

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation $$ u \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} = \rho \frac{ d P}{ d x}$$ and whether or not the statement $$ \rho P-1/2 u^2 = const. $$ is mathematically true. It is clarified that the negative is present in the statement and that the equation can be solved by treating the partial derivatives as ratios of differentials.
member 428835
hey pf!

here's the question: $$ u \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} = \rho \frac{ d P}{ d x}$$ may i generally state $$ \rho P+1/2 u^2 = const. $$

the book does, and it seems the [itex]dx[/itex] cancels the [itex]\partial x[/itex] on both sides and we simply integrate through. this seems to be mathematically untrue. can someone confirm/reject this? also, what conditions would be necessary to have the above true (if it is indeed untrue generally)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt very much that you book says exactly that! I suspect it says instead that
[itex]\rho P- (1/2)u^2= const[/itex]. (Notice the negative.)

The partial derivative is simply the ordinary derivative while treating other variables as if they were constants. What ever the other variable(s) in u might be, since they do not appear in the equation, this would be solved exactly as if it were
[tex]u\dfrac{du}{dx}= \rho\dfrac{dP}{dx}[/tex].

Now, you can treat [itex]du/dx[/itex] and [itex]dP/dx[/itex] as if they were ratios of differentials as we do in Ordinary Caculus.

Likes 1 person
ahh yes, my mistake. the negative is definitely there. sorry. but thanks for answering the crux of the question

Related to Clarifying ODE/PDE Integration and Conditions

1. What is the difference between an ODE and a PDE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) involves a single independent variable, while a PDE (partial differential equation) involves multiple independent variables. In other words, an ODE deals with functions of one variable, while a PDE deals with functions of multiple variables.

2. How do I solve a simple ODE or PDE?

The process for solving an ODE or PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and any given initial or boundary conditions. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or integration, or numerically, using computer algorithms.

3. Can you provide an example of a simple ODE or PDE?

A simple ODE could be the exponential growth equation, dy/dt = ky, where y is the dependent variable and k is a constant. A simple PDE could be the heat equation, ∂u/∂t = k∂²u/∂x², where u is the temperature distribution in a one-dimensional system and k is the thermal diffusivity.

4. What are some real-world applications of ODEs and PDEs?

ODEs and PDEs are used to model a wide range of phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. These equations have applications in fields such as physics, biology, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any techniques for solving more complex ODEs and PDEs?

Yes, there are many advanced techniques for solving more complex ODEs and PDEs, such as numerical methods, perturbation methods, and series solutions. These methods are often used when analytical solutions are not possible or when the equations involve nonlinearities or boundary conditions that are difficult to handle.