Clarifying Electric potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Coulomb's law and the potential energy of an electron in an atom. While the law states that potential energy is proportional to the distance squared between charges, the conversation questions how this applies to the energy eigenstates of a hydrogen-like atom. It also mentions the importance of providing a reference to ensure accuracy.
Inpyo
I read somewhere online that according to Coulomb's law, in the context of an atom, the potential energy of an electron is proportional to the distance (squared) between the positive and negative charges, this however doesn't show up in the actual eq F = kq1q2/r^2

I thought about it in terms of grav. potential energy and it made sense that a charge separated further would have more potential energy as would an object that were lifted higher above the earth. However, what I didn't get was the attribution to Coulomb's Law that somehow shows PE is proportional to R^2 (rather than being inversely proportional).

I wanted to post this to see if I were missing something here or if what I read was not so accurate.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the energy eigenstates of a hydrogen like atom do not have a fixed specified radius, only a distribution. Of course, this distribution will have an expectation value, which is typically what would be quoted.

Regarding your question, either your reference was wrong or you interpreted it wrong. It is impossible to tell which unless you provide the reference.

Related to Clarifying Electric potential energy

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential of an electric field to do work on a charged particle.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The electric potential energy is calculated using the formula U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total energy of a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

4. How does distance affect electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy is directly proportional to the distance between two charged particles. As the distance increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. What is the unit of electric potential energy?

The unit of electric potential energy is joules (J), the same as any other form of energy. It can also be expressed in electron volts (eV) in the context of atomic and subatomic particles.