Clarification on Chemical Formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of hexagons and triangles in a chemical formula, with an explanation of zig-zagged lines representing carbon chains and different types of bonds. The formula can be written out by counting the number of carbon atoms and there are 16 in the topmost branch.
Robotesco
I was wondering what the upper half of the hexagon represents, I assume the Triangles represent O repeating; and how would this formula be written out in text.
Fat_triglyceride_shorthand_formula.PNG

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't see hexagons here?

These zig-zagged lines are just carbon chains (with hydrogen omitted for clarity). Single line means single bond, double line means double bond.

Borek said:
I don't see hexagons here?

These zig-zagged lines are just carbon chains (with hydrogen omitted for clarity). Single line means single bond, double line means double bond.

Any idea on how the chemical formula would be written out?
How many carbon atoms do the zigzags represent after the Oxygen atom?

Robotesco said:
How many carbon atoms do the zigzags represent after the Oxygen atom?
Count 'em up.

I count 16 C atoms in the topmost branch, starting where the O has a double-bond. (Don't forget the C at the end of the chain!)

Related to Clarification on Chemical Formulas

1. What is a chemical formula?

A chemical formula is a symbolic representation of the elements that make up a specific chemical compound. It uses the chemical symbols of the elements and subscripts to indicate the number of atoms of each element present in the compound.

2. Why is it important to clarify a chemical formula?

Clarifying a chemical formula is important to ensure accuracy and avoid confusion. Different compounds can have similar chemical formulas, but subtle differences in the arrangement of atoms can result in completely different properties and behaviors.

3. How do you read a chemical formula?

Chemical formulas are read from left to right, with the subscript following the chemical symbol indicating the number of atoms of that element present in the compound. Parentheses can also be used to group elements and their corresponding subscripts.

4. Can a chemical formula change?

Yes, a chemical formula can change depending on the conditions and reactions involved. For example, water can have the chemical formula H2O in its liquid form, but it can also exist as ice (H2O) and water vapor (H2O).

5. How are chemical formulas determined?

Chemical formulas are determined through experimental methods and analysis. This can include techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry, which help identify the elements and their ratios in a compound.