Clarification of the independent variable for a partial derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of taking a partial derivative for a non-linear 3D function, with the understanding that the change in X is always a very small amount and the change in Z is the rate of change relative to this small amount. The use of infinitesmals and pixels in shader functions is also mentioned, along with the tangent lines to the surface of the function. Ultimately, it is concluded that the partial derivative for Z in X is always a very small change in X, similar to taking a regular derivative.
Dorslek
For some non-linear 3D function, let's say I want to take the partial derivative for x where y is constant. Each point for Z will be different of course since it's non-linear.

So let's say I plug in an X of 3 where Y is constant for some function and I get a slope of 5 as my answer. Is it correct to interpret it as:

"If I move a very small amount away from 3 on the x-axis, the Z-axis will be 5 times as large as that very small amount and thus you have your tangent line"

So the concept I'm trying to make sure I have down 100 percent is that I always interpret the change in X as a very small amount and the change in Z as the rate of change relative to this very small change correct?

I couldn't in my example use one unit away or twenty units away from 3 since the answer can be drastically different from my rate of change at 3 based on the very small amount away from 3.

This clarification was brought about not only to make sure I'm thinking about this right but also in the fact that when you use ddx/ddy in shader functions, their very small change is always one pixel to the right/up/down/left away.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not particularly comfortable with talking about "infinitesmals" since the logical basis needed is pretty complicated (and 1 "pixel" is not normally what you mean by "infinitesmal"). However, it is true that the line [itex]x= X+ t[/itex], [itex]y= Y[/itex], [itex]z= f(X, Y)+ f_x t[/itex] and the line [itex]x= X[/itex], [itex]y= Y+ t[/itex], [itex]z= f(X, Y)+ f_yt[/itex] are tangent to the surface z= f(x,y) at (X, Y, F(X, Y))

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not particularly comfortable with talking about "infinitesmals" since the logical basis needed is pretty complicated (and 1 "pixel" is not normally what you mean by "infinitesmal"). However, it is true that the line [itex]x= X+ t[/itex], [itex]y= Y[/itex], [itex]z= f(X, Y)+ f_x t[/itex] and the line [itex]x= X[/itex], [itex]y= Y+ t[/itex], [itex]z= f(X, Y)+ f_yt[/itex] are tangent to the surface z= f(x,y) at (X, Y, F(X, Y))

Edited that out. I can then assume then if no units are mentioned, such as a pixel, that a partial derivative for z in x then is always going to be a very small change in X just like when doing a regular derivative?

Related to Clarification of the independent variable for a partial derivative

What is the independent variable in a partial derivative?

The independent variable in a partial derivative is the variable that is being held constant while taking the derivative. It is the variable that is not affected by the changes in the other variables.

Why is it important to clarify the independent variable in a partial derivative?

Clarifying the independent variable in a partial derivative is important because it allows us to clearly define the relationship between the variables and understand the specific effects of the independent variable on the dependent variable.

How do you determine the independent variable in a partial derivative?

The independent variable in a partial derivative is typically specified in the problem or equation. It can also be determined by identifying the variable that is being held constant while taking the derivative.

Can there be more than one independent variable in a partial derivative?

Yes, there can be more than one independent variable in a partial derivative. In this case, the partial derivative will show how the dependent variable changes with respect to each independent variable separately, while holding the other variables constant.

What is the difference between an independent variable and a dependent variable in a partial derivative?

The independent variable is the variable that is held constant while taking the derivative, while the dependent variable is the variable that is being affected by the changes in the other variables. In other words, the independent variable is the cause, while the dependent variable is the effect.