Clarification of concepts: Tetrads (Vielbeins), etc

• Thread starter Breo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary: The next thing you mentioned was "standard basis." Standard basis is the basis that is chosen so that the vectors in that basis are linearly independent. There are various ways to choose this basis, but the most common way is to choose a basis that is orthonormal in the sense that it is a set of vectors that are all equal and have the same direction (and magnitude). This is called the "orthogonal basis."Another thing you mentioned was "normal basis." A normal basis is a basis that is chosen so that the vectors in that basis are inversely proportional to their distance from the origin. This is useful, for example, when you are solving a system of equations and you want to find the solution that
Breo said:
Free falling observer measures proper time while Fiducial observer measures natural time?

What is natural time? All observers measure their own proper time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Breo said:
Free falling observer measures proper time while Fiducial observer measures natural time?
Per my post #29, fiducial observers define coordinate time for some chosen coordinates. There is nothing more 'natural' about this time than the proper time for any other observers. If you have coordinates based on a class of fiducial observers, coordinate time is proper time for those particular observers. Free fall observers measure their own proper time as well. All observers measure proper time.

I'm having trouble understanding what question you really want answered. Another observation, that may or may not be helpful, is that in GR there is no such thing as global free fall coordinates. Even if you can extend a free fall observers tetrad to cover a substantial section of spacetime via Fermi-Normal coordinates, only the origin observer is a free fall observer (in general). Fiducial observers, on the other hand, are used to build global coordinates that have some desired properties. Thus, you pick a family of observers that capture some symmetry of the manifold (static observers at infinity for SC geometry; comoving observers for a cosmological solution), and build coordinates such that coordinate time is the proper time measured by the fiducial observers. At least, that is the only sense I've seen the term used. If you have particular reference with a different sense of the term, it would be helpful to refer to that source to frame further questions.

[Edit: Let me add a clarification to the above: In some cases you can build global coordinates based on a family free fall observers (effectively using these as your fiducial observers). However, except for flat Minkowski space, you have to give up on orthogonality of your coordinates to achieve this - the metric will have off diagonal terms. ]

Last edited:
Coordinate time, that it was what I meant.

Thank you very much for the answers. Yours helped me a lot to understand what FIDO and FREFO are.

After thinking a while about proper time. Can you give me an example with equations or not about how a frefo measures his proper time?

Breo said:
After thinking a while about proper time. Can you give me an example with equations or not about how a frefo measures his proper time?
Integral of the line element along the world line of any observer is proper time. Can you clarify your question, as this fact is like the 1+1=2 of relativity, so I am having a hard time believing this is what you are really asking.

Breo said:

There's no equations necessary. Any observer measures his own proper time. That is the definition of proper time.

EDIT: Looks like PAllen is quicker to the draw than I.

Yes, sure for a fiducial we take the time from integrating. But for a free falling observer... what formula gives the proper time.

Imagine you have ## e^0 = Adt -Bdx^i \\ e^i= Cdx^i ##

how to measure the proper time? in terms of the tetrad maybe?

Breo said:
Yes, sure for a fiducial we take the time from integrating. But for a free falling observer... what formula gives the proper time.

I'm glad you clarified, because that gives a more interesting question.

First, note that a coordinate chart can represent all observer world lines that pass through the chart's coverage, and they all give the same proper time for any observer (pretty much by construction of how the metric transforms between charts). So, what I said before is trivially true: represent a free fall world line in any coordinate chart and you compute their proper time by integration; same as any observer. Further, computing which are the free fall observers in any coordinates is (conceptually - can be messy in practice) straightforward: solve the geodesic equation.

However, it seems you are asking how it is done in tetrad formalism. I admit I've never used tetrad formalism for this purpose, and am not very familiar with it, in general (I use coordinates or pure geometric formalisms; never studied tetrads much). I've only looked at tetrad formalism for local interaction, not for any integrated quantity like proper time. Hopefully someone else can explain how this might be done.

Breo said:

For ANY observer, as PAllen pointed out, you get the proper time by integrating along its world line. This is not just for "fiducial observers". As I stated in my last post, the free-fall observer, or any observer for that matter, does not need to use ANY equations to figure out his own proper time, he just needs to look at his watch.

I think you have to be more specific with your question.