Clarification needed in tunneling problem

• Thread starter joker314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tunneling
In summary, the problem involves electrons attempting to tunnel through a barrier and the fraction of electrons that are able to do so. The equation k= (2m(V-E)/h)^1/2 is used to solve for k, where m is represented as "0.511 x 10^6 eV / c^2" in the textbook. The value 0.511 x 10^6 represents the energy value in electron volts (eV) and is not equivalent to the mass of an electron in kilograms.
joker314

Homework Statement

In a particular semiconductor device, electrons that are accelerated through a potential of 5 V attempt to tunnel through a barrier of width 0.8 nm and height 10 V. What fraction of the electrons are able to tunnel through the barrier if the potential is zero outside the barrier?

Homework Equations

k= (2m(V-E)/h)^1/2

E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example problem in my textbook that is very similar to a homework problem. When solving for k, the value the book inserts for "m" is "0.511 x 10^6 eV / c^2"

I deduced this is a substitution for m by rearranging E=mc^2 . What I do not understand is what this "E" value of 0.511 x 10^6 represents. When I divide that by the speed of light squared it does not equal the mass of an electron (9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms) like i think it should, isntead it equals 5.677 x 10^-12

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

joker314 said:
This is an example problem in my textbook that is very similar to a homework problem. When solving for k, the value the book inserts for "m" is "0.511 x 10^6 eV / c^2"

I deduced this is a substitution for m by rearranging E=mc^2 . What I do not understand is what this "E" value of 0.511 x 10^6 represents. When I divide that by the speed of light squared it does not equal the mass of an electron (9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms) like i think it should, isntead it equals 5.677 x 10^-12

Hi joker314! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You need to revise your electric units … eV and kg are different units. :wink:

A volt is a joule per coulomb, so an eV is a J times the charge of an electron (I think :rolleyes:).

Related to Clarification needed in tunneling problem

1. How does tunneling occur in a scientific sense?

Tunneling refers to the phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle is able to pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. What are the real-world applications of tunneling?

Tunneling plays a crucial role in various technological applications, such as scanning tunneling microscopy, quantum computing, and nuclear fusion. It also helps explain how radioactive particles can escape from the nucleus of an atom.

3. Is tunneling a violation of the laws of physics?

No, tunneling does not violate any laws of physics. It is a well-established phenomenon that can be explained by the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can tunneling be observed in everyday life?

Tunneling is a very small-scale phenomenon that cannot be observed in everyday life. It occurs at the quantum level and can only be observed and measured using specialized equipment.

5. What are the challenges in studying and understanding tunneling?

One of the main challenges in studying tunneling is that it is a probabilistic phenomenon, making it difficult to predict with certainty. Additionally, it is a complex concept that requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics to fully comprehend.