Clarification about stationary quantum states of a system

In summary, our teacher set a question in the last test which asked us to show that if a system initially be in a stationary state, it will remain in a stationary state even if the system evolves according to the time dependent Schrodinger equation. What I did was show that the expectation value of the operator will not change using ∂<O>/∂t = 0, but now that I think about it, I find it really stupid! Why shouldn't the expectation value change with time? It's a quantum system after all... it's supposed to be unpredictable every instant! If I know what it is now, I shouldn't know what the system will become 2 mins later,am I right? Anyway, I tacit
deep838
Okay, here goes... Our teacher set a question in the last test which asked us to show that if a system initially be in a stationary state, it will remain in a stationary state even if the system evolves according to the time dependent Schrodinger equation. What I did was show that the expectation value of the operator will not change using
∂<O>/∂t = 0
But now that I think about it, I find it really stupid! Why shouldn't the expectation value change with time? It's a quantum system after all... it's supposed to be unpredictable every instant! If I know what it is now, I shouldn't know what the system will become 2 mins later,am I right?
Anyway, I tacitly assumed that ∂ψ/∂t = 0 and ended up with that result...
What the teacher wanted was <O(t)> = <O(t0)>
Please help me get out of my own mess! Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that the expectation value of observables in stationary states is constant, doesn't mean the actual value of that observable is constant and you can predict it. It just means the probability distribution for that observable isn't changing. But measurements separated by finite amounts of time, still give different values for the same observable.
Also, ## \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=0 ## is in general not correct for a stationary state. An stationary state is of the form ## \Psi(\vec r,t)=\psi(\vec r) e^{-i \omega t}##. So we have:
## \langle O \rangle_{\Psi}=\langle \Psi |O|\Psi \rangle= \langle \psi |e^{i \omega t}Oe^{-i \omega t}|\psi \rangle=\langle \psi |e^{i \omega t}e^{-i \omega t}O|\psi \rangle=\langle \psi |O|\psi \rangle= \langle O \rangle_{\psi}## which means ## \langle O \rangle_{\Psi}## is independent of time.

Likes deep838
Shyan said:
The fact that the expectation value of observables in stationary states is constant, doesn't mean the actual value of that observable is constant and you can predict it. It just means the probability distribution for that observable isn't changing. But measurements separated by finite amounts of time, still give different values for the same observable.
Also, ## \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=0 ## is in general not correct for a stationary state. An stationary state is of the form ## \Psi(\vec r,t)=\psi(\vec r) e^{-i \omega t}##. So we have:
## \langle O \rangle_{\Psi}=\langle \Psi |O|\Psi \rangle= \langle \psi |e^{i \omega t}Oe^{-i \omega t}|\psi \rangle=\langle \psi |e^{i \omega t}e^{-i \omega t}O|\psi \rangle=\langle \psi |O|\psi \rangle= \langle O \rangle_{\psi}## which means ## \langle O \rangle_{\Psi}## is independent of time.

I see... thank you for replying so early... Yes I kind of knew that ## \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=0 ## is wrong... but in that short period of time I didn't even try to think... please don't start criticizing me for that...

Related to Clarification about stationary quantum states of a system

1. What are stationary quantum states?

Stationary quantum states refer to the possible energy levels that a quantum system can occupy. These states are characterized by having a fixed energy and are described by the Schrodinger equation, which is the fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. How are stationary quantum states different from classical states?

Stationary quantum states differ from classical states in that they are probabilistic rather than deterministic. In classical physics, the state of a system can be precisely determined, while in quantum mechanics, the state of a system is described by a wavefunction that represents the probability of finding the system in a particular state.

3. What determines the stationary quantum states of a system?

The stationary quantum states of a system are determined by the potential energy of the system. The Schrodinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems, includes the potential energy term, and solving this equation gives the possible energy levels of the system.

4. Can a system have multiple stationary quantum states?

Yes, a system can have multiple stationary quantum states. The number of states depends on the complexity of the system and its potential energy. In simple systems, there may only be a few stationary states, while more complex systems can have an infinite number of states.

5. How do stationary quantum states relate to the behavior of particles?

Stationary quantum states are related to the behavior of particles in that they determine the allowed energy levels and possible locations of the particle within the system. The probability of finding a particle in a particular state is described by the wavefunction, and the energy of the particle is determined by the stationary states of the system.