Clapeyron Equation and the triple point (Thermo)

In summary: T)}=0.0091. Plugging these values into the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, we get \frac{\Delta H_{fusion}}{R}= 0.0008. Multiplying both sides by the gas constant R=8.314 J/mol*K, we get the latent heat of fusion at the triple point to be \Delta H_{fusion}=6.8 J/mol.In summary, at the triple point, the temperature is 195.19 K and the pressure is 5928.9 Pa. The latent heat of fusion at the triple point is 6.8 J/mol.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I was trying to solve this problem from Callen. It says: In the vecinity of the triple point the vapor pressure of liquid ammonia (in Pascals) is rerpesented by:

[tex]\ln P=24.38-\frac{3063}{T}[/tex]

This is the equation of the liquid-vapor boundary curve in a P-T diagram. Similarly, the vapor pressure of solid ammonia is

[tex]\ln P=27.92-\frac{3754}{T}[/tex]

a) What are the temperature and pressure at the triple point?
b) what is the latent heat of fusion at the triple point?

Homework Equations

I think a relevant equation is
[tex]d(ln P)=-\frac{\Delta h}{R}d\left ( \frac{1}{T} \right ) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think I've solved a)
At the triple point we have:
[tex]\ln P=27.92-\frac{3754}{T}=24.38-\frac{3063}{T}[/tex]
Then [tex]T=195.19[/tex]
And [tex]P=5928.9[/tex]

I don't know how to solve b), I think I should work with the equation I've posted in Relevant equations.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset. First, let's analyze the given information and equations.

The equations for the vapor pressures of liquid and solid ammonia at the triple point are logarithmic functions of temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the vapor pressure decreases. Additionally, the equation for the solid ammonia has a higher coefficient than that of liquid ammonia, indicating that solid ammonia has a lower vapor pressure than liquid ammonia at the same temperature.

a) To find the temperature and pressure at the triple point, we can use the given equations and set them equal to each other, as you have done in your attempt. However, we also need to take into account the fact that at the triple point, all three phases (solid, liquid, and vapor) coexist in equilibrium. This means that the vapor pressure of solid and liquid ammonia must be equal to the vapor pressure of the triple point. So, we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for T and P:

\ln P_{triple}=27.92-\frac{3754}{T}=24.38-\frac{3063}{T}

Solving for T, we get T = 195.19 K. Substituting this value back into either equation, we can find the vapor pressure at the triple point to be P_{triple}=5928.9 Pa.

b) To find the latent heat of fusion at the triple point, we can use the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates the latent heat of fusion to the slope of the vapor pressure curve at the triple point. This equation is given by:

\frac{\Delta H_{fusion}}{R}=-\frac{d\ln P}{d(1/T)}

We can use the given equations for the vapor pressures of liquid and solid ammonia to calculate the slope at the triple point. Taking the derivative of both equations with respect to (1/T), we get:

\frac{d\ln P_{liquid}}{d(1/T)}=\frac{3063}{T^2}

\frac{d\ln P_{solid}}{d(1/T)}=\frac{3754}{T^2}

Substituting T=195.19 K, we get \frac{d\ln P_{liquid}}{d(1/T)}=0.0083 and \frac{d\ln P_{solid

1. What is the Clapeyron Equation and how is it used in thermodynamics?

The Clapeyron Equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a pure substance undergoing a phase change. It relates the pressure and temperature of a substance at two different phases, and is commonly used in thermodynamics to determine the conditions at which a substance will transition between phases.

2. How does the Clapeyron Equation relate to the triple point of a substance?

The triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which the three phases (solid, liquid, and gas) of a substance coexist in equilibrium. The Clapeyron Equation can be used to calculate the triple point by setting the pressure and temperature of two different phases equal to each other, and solving for the unknown pressure or temperature at the triple point.

3. Can the Clapeyron Equation be applied to mixtures of substances?

No, the Clapeyron Equation is only applicable to pure substances. For mixtures of substances, other equations such as Raoult's Law or the Antoine Equation must be used to describe phase behavior.

4. How accurate is the Clapeyron Equation in predicting phase behavior?

The Clapeyron Equation is a simplified model that assumes ideal conditions and neglects factors such as intermolecular forces and non-ideal behavior. While it can provide a good estimate, it may not always accurately predict phase behavior in real systems.

5. Is the Clapeyron Equation applicable to all types of phase changes?

No, the Clapeyron Equation is only applicable to reversible phase changes, meaning the substance can transition between phases without any energy loss. For irreversible phase changes, such as combustion or nuclear reactions, other equations must be used to describe the behavior.