Civil/Environmental Engineering: Pros and Cons

In summary, the conversation is about a person's decision to pursue a course in civil/environmental engineering at university despite having no work experience in the subject. The speaker suggests that the person become friendly with the local Public Works staff in their community to gain practical experience and increase their chances of being accepted into the program. While lack of work experience may reduce prospects, it does not necessarily eliminate them.
npat
i've finally decided to pursue a course in civil/environmental engineering at uni, but cos of my late decision i have no work experience or any for that matter with the subject. would this sort of lesson my prospects of getting in?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really don't know anything about that, but I have a suggestion. This, of course, depends upon what sort of community you live in. Your ID space doesn't show where you live, so I don't even know what hemisphere you're in. Anyhow, if it's a practical endeavour where you live, I would recommend that you become friendly with the local Public Works staff. One of them might let you tag along on a few projects, and maybe give you explanations of the things that they're doing.

Yes it would reduce your prospects of getting in, but not necessarily eliminate them. Don't underestimate the value of just a few weeks' work experience.

Related to Civil/Environmental Engineering: Pros and Cons

What is Civil/Environmental Engineering?

Civil/Environmental Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment. This includes structures such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water treatment plants, as well as the natural environment, such as water and air quality.

What are the pros of studying Civil/Environmental Engineering?

There are many reasons to consider studying Civil/Environmental Engineering. Some of the pros include the ability to make a positive impact on society by designing and building infrastructure that improves people's lives. It also offers a diverse range of career opportunities, from working in the public sector to the private sector. Additionally, it is a constantly evolving field, which allows for continuous learning and growth.

What are the cons of studying Civil/Environmental Engineering?

Like any field, there are also some potential drawbacks to studying Civil/Environmental Engineering. Some cons may include the challenging coursework and the need for strong problem-solving skills. It can also involve working in difficult and sometimes dangerous environments, such as construction sites or polluted areas. Additionally, the job market for this field may be heavily influenced by economic conditions.

What skills are required for a successful career in Civil/Environmental Engineering?

To be successful in Civil/Environmental Engineering, you will need a strong foundation in math, science, and technical skills. These may include knowledge of materials, structures, and environmental systems. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork abilities are essential, as well as adaptability and critical thinking skills.

What are some emerging trends in Civil/Environmental Engineering?

One of the emerging trends in Civil/Environmental Engineering is the use of new technologies, such as Building Information Modeling (BIM), to improve the efficiency and sustainability of construction projects. There is also a growing focus on environmentally-friendly and sustainable design, as well as the use of renewable energy sources in infrastructure projects. Another trend is the incorporation of resilience and disaster mitigation strategies in infrastructure design to address the impacts of climate change.