Civil Engineering: Advice and Comments Wanted

In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of civil engineering as a college major and career. The original poster expresses their interest in receiving feedback and advice on the field, citing their own experience as a former civil engineering major who ultimately switched to physics due to boredom. They mention that while the work may not be as intellectually challenging as physics, it still offers opportunities to think and has regular working hours. However, jobs can be difficult to find and advancement may be slow. The conversation also mentions the experiences of two individuals who have pursued careers in civil engineering, with one still working in the field and the other becoming a lawyer. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the nature of civil engineering and its potential pros and cons as a career path.
vt33
Hello, I posted this on the engineering thread but it hasn't gotten much attention. I just wanted to know if anyone has any comments, good or bad on civil engineering as a college major or even a career for that matter. Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos030.htm

http://www.bls.gov/k12/build05.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a civil engineering major for two years before I changed my major to physics. My experience was that, compared to physics, civil engineering:
1. Had a less intellegent base of students (which is not to say the field isn't challanging)
2. Was a lot easier than physics (obviously, this has something to do with no. 1)
3. Trained you to do very low-level work...not think about how to solve problems on your own.

In general, the reason I changed my major to physics was that I was bored with my classes in CE. If it interests you, however, go for it. There are plenty of very difficult problems to solve in CE in structural, geotechnical, environmental, and trasportation.

Civil engineering is a nice career if you want to think at your job and still have regular 9 to 5 type hours. Jobs are hard to find though outside of big cities, and even there, it takes a VERY long time to advance because the more senior people never leave unless it's to change careers because they have been stuck in the same career level for ages.

I've only known two civil engineers well enough to know what they are still doing 10 or so years post-graduation. My one friend is still working with the Army Corps and she really enjoys the job. My other friend is now a lawyer.

But, the labs sounded funny in college (there was real theory behind it, I think, but it just always sounded funny, so don't take this seriously). They got to mix concrete while I was trying to avoid the guy next to me in organic chemistry who was trying to blow up the both of us!

Related to Civil Engineering: Advice and Comments Wanted

1. What skills are important for a career in civil engineering?

Some important skills for a career in civil engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, math and science proficiency, and project management. It is also important to have a strong understanding of engineering principles and knowledge of relevant software and technology.

2. How do I become a licensed civil engineer?

To become a licensed civil engineer, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from an accredited university, pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, gain relevant work experience, and pass the Professional Engineering (PE) exam. Requirements may vary by state, so it is important to research the specific requirements in your area.

3. What is the job outlook for civil engineers?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for civil engineers is projected to grow by 2% from 2019 to 2029, which is slower than the average growth rate for all occupations. However, there is still a demand for civil engineers in various industries, including construction, transportation, and environmental engineering.

4. What are some common challenges faced by civil engineers?

Some common challenges faced by civil engineers include managing tight budgets and timelines, adapting to changing regulations and technology, dealing with unexpected site conditions, and balancing the needs of various stakeholders. It is important for civil engineers to have strong problem-solving and communication skills to overcome these challenges.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring civil engineers?

My advice for aspiring civil engineers is to gain a strong foundation in math and science, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and gain hands-on experience through internships and projects. It is also important to stay updated on industry developments and continuously learn and improve your skills. Networking and building relationships with other professionals in the field can also be beneficial for career growth.