Circumpolar star declination problem

In summary, for an observer standing on the Damavand Mountain and looking at the sky over the Caspian Sea, the minimum declination for a star to be seen marginally circumpolar is about -5 degrees.
trina1990
The Damavand Mountain is located at the North part of Iran, in south coast of
Caspian Sea. Consider an observer standing on the Damavand mountaintop (latitude =
35° 57′ N; longitude = 52° 6' E; altitude 5.6 x10^3m
from the mean sea level) and looking at
the sky over the Caspian Sea. What is the minimum declination for a star, to be seen
marginally circumpolar for this observer. Geodetic radius of the Earth at this latitude
is 6370.8 ݇݉km. Surface level of the Caspian Sea is approximately equal to the mean sea level

i know the condition of a star being circumpolar is that it's latitude should be greater than declination? is it only applicable to altitude=0m or with all altitudes?

please give me some initial guidelines to solve it out...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi trina1990! :smile:
trina1990 said:
What is the minimum declination for a star, to be seen
marginally circumpolar for this observer.

doesn't it just mean what is the declination of a star sitting due north on the water?

thanks for answering...
of course it's that, but my question is how can i explain this procedure mathematically?...

i just wanted to know the process of measering star declination &then asked if the circumpolar condition changes if i change the altitude?

for circumpolar stars i only know their latitude should be greater than declination...how can i use this info to walk through this problem?

hi trina1990! :smile:
trina1990 said:
for circumpolar stars i only know their latitude should be greater than declination …

no, because you're on a mountain top, so you can see stars that are lower than usual :wink:

well, so there altitude matters...i can see the stars below horizon due to my high altitude & refraction on the atmospheric layers...

but can you please suggest me the clue to derive this declination?

all you need to know is the angle below horizontal from the mountain to the horizon …

so draw a diagram! :wink:

Related to Circumpolar star declination problem

1. What is the circumpolar star declination problem?

The circumpolar star declination problem is the phenomenon where the position of a star in the sky appears to change throughout the night due to the Earth's rotation on its axis. This is caused by the fact that the Earth is tilted on its axis, causing stars to appear to move in a circular motion around the celestial pole.

2. What causes the circumpolar star declination problem?

The circumpolar star declination problem is caused by the Earth's axial tilt of approximately 23.5 degrees. This tilt causes the celestial pole to be inclined with respect to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, resulting in the appearance of stars moving in a circular motion around the celestial pole.

3. How does the circumpolar star declination problem affect star observations?

The circumpolar star declination problem can affect star observations by making it difficult to accurately track the motion of stars throughout the night. It can also lead to confusion in determining the true position of a star, as its apparent position will change with time due to the Earth's rotation.

4. Can the circumpolar star declination problem be corrected?

While the circumpolar star declination problem cannot be completely corrected, it can be accounted for in star observations by using star charts or specialized software that takes into account the Earth's rotation and the tilt of the celestial pole.

5. What other factors can affect the circumpolar star declination problem?

The circumpolar star declination problem can also be affected by factors such as the latitude of the observer, the time of year, and the specific stars being observed. These factors can all impact the apparent motion of the stars in the sky and must be taken into consideration when making observations.