Circumcision & Bad Habits (warning: sensitive topic and/or graphic)

In summary, a long foreskin may be causing a hypersensitivity to the glans, and circumcision may not alleviate the problem. There is also the possibility that there is another physical issue at play that needs to be addressed.

Circumcision will

• Not affect frequency

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Affect frequenct

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solve problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
khemix
I have no where else to go to, and posting anonymously on a public computer seems to be my best bet because I have lurked these forums for a while and believe most members here are intelligent enough to provide an objective answer. As I've already stated, this issue may be sensitive to some viewers and I apologize if you are offended. Now then, onto the issue.

I am uncircumsized. And I have a "bad habit". Bad to the point of addiction. My foreskin is unsually long, and I think the extra sensitivity is part of the problem. I've gone to several psychiatrists and received a deep analysis, but insight as it seems has helped very little. Some suggested radical solutions but I don't want to risk being sterile. One suggests circumcision. He claims it reduces the urge, although he admits this claim is not very scientific. But it seems to be the only thing left unless I consider dangerous drugs. However, I have read several internet entries claiming this is not the case at all. This is where I need some advice... please leave comments and/or poll entries.

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'd visit a doctor first rather than the psychologist and see if there is any reason why you would be hypersensitive other than the fact you have a foreskin. The majority of people in the UK are in tact and they don't have a problem.

As Kurdt said, you should see a medical doctor. We cannot diagnose your problem here.

You could try keeping your foreskin pulled back, exposing the glans. It takes a while to get used to it, but if your foreskin will stay back on its own, that will reduce the sensitivity of the glans over time.

Circumcision will not reduce urges. If anything, reducing sensitivity might only make matters worse by leading you to crave more of something that becomes harder to achieve.

Have you only seen psychiatrists? And are they really psychiatrists (as in, have a medical degree) or are you incorrectly calling psychologists or therapists by that name? Before giving up hope or doing anything too drastic, try consulting an endocrinologist or neurologist to make sure there isn't some other physical factor that can be addressed (i.e., overproduction of a hormone). If all checks out then back the psychiatrist to treat it like any other addiction.

Related to Circumcision & Bad Habits (warning: sensitive topic and/or graphic)

1. What is circumcision?

Circumcision is a surgical procedure in which the foreskin of the penis is removed. It is typically performed for cultural, religious, or medical reasons.

2. Is circumcision a common practice?

Yes, circumcision is a common practice in many countries, particularly in North America, the Middle East, and Africa. It is estimated that around 30% of males worldwide are circumcised.

3. What are the potential benefits of circumcision?

There are several potential benefits of circumcision, including a reduced risk of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and sexually transmitted infections. It may also improve hygiene and sexual satisfaction for some individuals.

4. Are there any risks associated with circumcision?

As with any surgical procedure, there are some risks associated with circumcision, such as bleeding, infection, and damage to the penis. However, these risks are relatively low and can be minimized by having the procedure performed by a trained healthcare professional.

5. What are some bad habits that can occur after circumcision?

There are no specific bad habits that can occur after circumcision. However, some individuals may experience discomfort, swelling, or irritation during the healing process, which can be managed with proper care and hygiene. It is important to follow any post-operative instructions provided by a healthcare professional to minimize any potential complications.