Circulation of a Mag field around a wire, what is the angle?

In summary, the direction of the magnetic field around a wire is perpendicular to the wire, determined by the magnitude of the current and distance from the wire. The angle of the wire does not affect the magnetic field. It can be manipulated by changing the current or introducing other magnetic fields. The magnetic field around a wire is important for the production of electromagnets and is a crucial component in many electrical devices.
Sara Kennedy
Circulation of a magnetic field = closed loop integral ∫c B ⋅dl = μ0I

B is mag field strength, dl is small line element, I is current

Im imagining both B and dl point in the same direction from the diagram. So the dot product here, I picture as cosθ = cos0

Is that correct way to think? This is not a homework question, I'm reading amperes law theory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.04.27.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.04.27.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Sara Kennedy said:
Im imagining both B and dl point in the same direction from the diagram. So the dot product here, I picture as cosθ = cos0

Is that correct way to think?
Yes.

Related to Circulation of a Mag field around a wire, what is the angle?

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a wire is perpendicular to the wire, forming concentric circles around it.

2. How is the strength of the magnetic field around a wire determined?

The strength of the magnetic field around a wire is determined by the magnitude of the current flowing through the wire and the distance from the wire.

3. How does the angle of the wire affect the magnetic field around it?

The angle of the wire does not affect the magnetic field around it. The magnetic field is always perpendicular to the wire, regardless of its angle.

4. Can the magnetic field around a wire be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field around a wire can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the wire or by introducing other magnetic fields nearby.

5. Why is the magnetic field around a wire important?

The magnetic field around a wire is important because it allows for the production of electromagnets and is a crucial component in many electrical devices, such as motors and generators.