Circular Polization type in an EM wave.

In summary, there is confusion regarding the mathematics in a section of notes and a related homework problem. The given electric field vector in a z-directed monochromatic EM wave is incorrect when \alpha = \pi/2. The correct components for left circular polarization should be E_{x} = E_{R}cos(kz-wt) and E_{y} = -E_{R}sin(kz-wt). The components for right circular polarization when \alpha = -\pi/2 are E_{x} = E_{R}cos(kz-wt) and E_{y} = E_{R}sin(kz-wt). This clarification is needed as to why the components for both polarizations are the same
Silversonic
My bad for the spelling fail in the title.

Homework Statement

I am utterly confused with the mathematics in a section of my notes, I swear that it's wrong - and it related to a piece of homework which I cannot understand.

The electric field vector in a z-directed monochromatic EM wave is given by;

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4768/58814275.jpg

It says that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2, [itex]\theta[/itex] = 0 and [itex]E_{0,x}[/itex] = [itex]E_{0,y}[/itex]

Then

[itex]E_{x}[/itex] = [itex]E_{R}[/itex]cos(kz-wt),

[itex]E_{y}[/itex] = [itex]E_{R}[/itex]sin(kz-wt)

and [itex]E_{R}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}E_{0,x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not see how the component in y direction is right. Taking the parameters [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2, [itex]\theta[/itex] = 0, [itex]E_{0,x}[/itex] = [itex]E_{0,y}[/itex]

we get

[itex]E_{0} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[E_{0,x} \hat{x} + E_{0,x} e^{i(\pi/2)} \hat{y}][/itex]

[itex]e^{i(\pi/2)} = i[/itex]

[itex]E_{0} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[E_{0,x} \hat{x} + iE_{0,x} \hat{y}][/itex]

Subbing this in the equation for overall E.

[itex] E = Re(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[E_{0,x} \hat{x} + iE_{0,x} \hat{y}]e^{i(kz-wt)}) [/itex]

[itex]E_{R}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}E_{0,x}[/itex]

[itex] E = Re(E_{R}[\hat{x} + i\hat{y}]e^{i(kz-wt)}) [/itex]

[itex] E = Re(E_{R}[\hat{x} + i\hat{y}][cos(kz-wt)+isin(kz-wt)]) [/itex]

[itex] E = E_{R}[\hat{x} cos(kz-wt) - \hat{y}sin(kz-wt)] [/itex]So then surely for [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2

We have

[itex]E_{x}[/itex] = [itex]E_{R}cos(kz-wt)[/itex]

[itex]E_{y}[/itex] = -[itex]E_{R}sin(kz-wt)[/itex]

So the [itex]E_{y}[/itex] direction is minus instead?

Similarly for [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]-\pi[/itex]/2 We'd have;

[itex]E_{x}[/itex] = [itex]E_{R}cos(kz-wt)[/itex]

[itex]E_{y}[/itex] = [itex]E_{R}sin(kz-wt)[/itex]

Is this correct?

[itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 should correspond to left circular polarization, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]-\pi[/itex]/2 to right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why they'd have the same components of electric field though. I'm really confused and would appreciate any help on this.

Related to Circular Polization type in an EM wave.

1. What is circular polarization in an EM wave?

Circular polarization is a type of polarization in which the electric field vector of an electromagnetic wave rotates in a circular motion as it propagates through space. This means that the direction of the electric field changes over time, resulting in a helical path of the wave.

2. How is circular polarization different from linear polarization?

Linear polarization occurs when the electric field vector of an electromagnetic wave oscillates in a single plane as it propagates. In contrast, circular polarization occurs when the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion, resulting in a helical path of the wave.

3. What causes circular polarization in an EM wave?

Circular polarization can be created by passing linearly polarized light through a quarter-wave plate or by using special antennas that generate circularly polarized radio waves. It can also occur naturally through the interaction of light with certain materials or through the rotation of the Earth's magnetic field.

4. What are the applications of circular polarization?

Circular polarization has various applications in science and technology. It is commonly used in optical communication systems to reduce interference and improve signal quality. It is also used in satellite communication, radar systems, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI.

5. Can circular polarization be converted to linear polarization?

Yes, circular polarization can be converted to linear polarization by passing the wave through a polarizer. The polarizer will only allow the electric field vector in a specific direction to pass through, resulting in linear polarization. This conversion can also occur naturally when circularly polarized light is reflected off a surface at a certain angle.