Circular polarization wrt. magnetic field

In summary, circular polarization refers to the rotation of an electromagnetic wave's electric field vector, which can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, as it travels through space. The direction of rotation is determined by the orientation of the wave's magnetic field. The magnetic field plays a critical role in circular polarization, as it not only determines the direction of rotation but also affects the intensity and phase of the wave. Circular polarization has various applications in fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and remote sensing, and can be measured using a polarimeter which detects the rotation of the electric field and determines the degree and direction of circular polarization.
Niles
Hi

I am a little confused regarding circular polarization. I have attached a figure in order to explain the situation I have been thinking of: It shows (to the left) how a magnetic field changes from being positive to being negative. The arrow indicates my quantization axis. To the right I have sketched the incoming EM-light, and the circle indicates that it is circularly polarized. The direction is such that it is σ- wrt. the quantization axis (the right hand rule).

The main objective is that I want to drive the Δm=-1 (from J=0, m=0 to J=1, m=-1) transition of an atom moving from left ro right. But this is the part that is troubling me: Am I allowed to just define the quantization axis the way I have? With this definition, the only thing that changes is the magnetic dipole moment of the atom, and it goes from negative to positive. Am I right in all this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Niles.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Niles,

Thank you for your question. Circular polarization refers to the direction of the electric field in an electromagnetic wave. In your figure, the circularly polarized light is indicated by the circle, and the direction of the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

In terms of your objective, it is possible to drive the Δm=-1 transition by defining the quantization axis as you have. This means that the magnetic dipole moment of the atom will change from negative to positive, as you have correctly stated. However, it is important to note that the quantization axis is arbitrary and can be defined in any direction. It is often chosen based on convenience or to align with the experimental setup.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of circular polarization and its relation to defining the quantization axis. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Circular polarization wrt. magnetic field

What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization refers to the rotation of an electromagnetic wave's electric field vector as it propagates through space. This rotation can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, and the direction is determined by the orientation of the wave's magnetic field.

How does magnetic field affect circular polarization?

The magnetic field plays a critical role in circular polarization. It determines the direction of the electric field rotation and can also affect the intensity and phase of the circularly polarized wave.

What is the relationship between circular polarization and the magnetic field?

The relationship between circular polarization and the magnetic field is that the orientation of the magnetic field determines the direction of the electric field rotation and the degree of circular polarization. In other words, the magnetic field is responsible for the circularly polarized nature of the wave.

What are some applications of circular polarization with respect to magnetic field?

Circular polarization with respect to magnetic field has various applications in fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and remote sensing. It is used in satellite communications, radar systems, and in the study of celestial bodies and their magnetic fields.

How is circular polarization with respect to magnetic field measured?

Circular polarization with respect to magnetic field can be measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that measures the polarization state of an electromagnetic wave. The polarimeter can detect the rotation of the electric field and determine the degree and direction of circular polarization.