Circular polarization phase difference

In summary, the speakers discuss the phase difference between two components of the electric field vector and how it relates to circular polarization. It is noted that the textbook states that the phase difference should be odd multiples of 90 degrees, but the speaker is unable to achieve this when substituting values for n. It is then clarified that 90 degrees is equivalent to π/2 and that the phase difference can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. The confusion is resolved when the speaker realizes their mistake and the conversation ends with thanks.
avinamaurya
Phase difference between two component of Electric field vector seems to me that the phase difference for circular should be of odd multiples of 90 but its not 90 when n value substituted. Please help for solution..
upload_2014-9-30_14-52-12.png

Science news on Phys.org
avinamaurya said:
its not 90 when n value substituted
Which n value did you substitute?

my doubt is... as per the textbook i am referring there should be multiples of 90 degree of phase difference is required for circular polarization but here even after substituting all possible values of n= 0,1,2,3,... I couldn't get multiple of 90... then how can it be the representation of circular polarization phase difference??

avinamaurya said:
I couldn't get multiple of 90...
You do realize that 90° = ## \pi ## / 2 ?

it is +90 deg = +pi/2 for CW=clockwise and
-90deg = -pi/2 for CCW= counter clockwise.

-90 + 360 = 270 = 3*90, so yes, it is odd multiples of 90deg as long as you don't care if it is left-handed or right-handed circular polarization.

i got it... I was doing silly mistake substituting wrong value...
Thanks..

Related to Circular polarization phase difference

1. What is circular polarization phase difference?

Circular polarization phase difference refers to the difference in phase between the two orthogonal components of a circularly polarized electromagnetic wave. This difference in phase is what gives circularly polarized light its distinct helical shape.

2. How is circular polarization phase difference measured?

Circular polarization phase difference is typically measured using a polarimeter, which consists of a quarter-wave plate and a polarizer. The quarter-wave plate converts circularly polarized light into linearly polarized light, and the polarizer then measures the intensity of the two orthogonal components, allowing for calculation of the phase difference.

3. What is the importance of circular polarization phase difference in optical systems?

Circular polarization phase difference is important because it can affect the behavior of light in optical systems. For example, in 3D movie glasses, circularly polarized light is used to create the illusion of depth. If the phase difference between the two polarized components is not accurately maintained, the 3D effect may be distorted.

4. How does the phase difference of circularly polarized light change with distance?

The phase difference of circularly polarized light remains constant as it travels through a vacuum. However, when passing through a medium such as glass or water, the phase difference can change due to the different refractive indices of the two orthogonal components. This is known as optical rotation.

5. Can circular polarization phase difference be manipulated?

Yes, circular polarization phase difference can be manipulated using various optical elements such as wave plates and polarizers. This allows for control over the intensity and direction of circularly polarized light, which has numerous applications in fields such as telecommunications and imaging.