Circular Motion with time-dependent radial acceleration

In summary, the particle is traveling on a circle with a radius R and a changing radial acceleration of At^4. The distance traveled can be found using S(t)=\frac{\sqrt{RA}t^3} {3}. The acceleration can be found in both polar and Cartesian coordinates by using the equations a_r=\frac {v^2} {R} and x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta, respectively. The motion is not uniform and there is also a tangential acceleration present, which can be found by differentiating the velocity equation.
TwoSeventyOne

Homework Statement

A particle is traveling on a circle with a radius R. The particle's radial acceleration is given as:
[itex] a_r=At^4 [/itex]
At time [itex] t=0 [/itex] the particle is at [itex] (R,0) [/itex].

A. Find the distance that the particle has traveled as a function of time [itex] S(t) [/itex].
B. Display the particle's acceleration in polar coordinates.
C. Display the particle's acceleration in Cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

##a_r=\frac {v^2} {R}##
##x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed at first that since the particle is moving in a uniform circular motion, I can use
[itex] a_r=\frac {v^2} {R} [/itex]
[itex] At^4=\frac {v^2} {R} [/itex]
[itex] v=\sqrt{RAt^4} [/itex]
Then I treated [itex] v [/itex] as [itex] \frac {ds} {dt} [/itex] and got
[itex] S(t)=\sqrt{RA}*\int_0^t t'^2 \, dt' = \frac{\sqrt{RA}t^3} {3} [/itex]

But then I realized that the radial acceleration changes according to time. Wouldn't that affect the solution? Also, I'm confused as to converting the acceleration from polar to Cartesian. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to acceleration and exactly what are my ##\hat r## and ##\hat \theta##.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing stating that the motion is uniform. In fact, the changing radial acceleration tells you that it is not. However, ##a = v^2/r## holds for any circular motion - otherwise the particle would not be moving in a circle.

I see. Does that mean that there is necessarily tangential acceleration as well? If so, any hint on finding it?

Yes, there must be a tangential acceleration. You have already found the velocity, so finding the acceleration is a simple matter of differentiating.

I would first clarify the problem statement with my professor or colleagues to ensure that my assumptions are correct. It seems that the problem is asking for the position, acceleration, and velocity of a particle moving in a circle with a time-dependent radial acceleration.

To find the distance traveled as a function of time, I would use the formula for displacement in circular motion:
S(t) = Rθ(t), where θ(t) is the angle swept by the particle at time t. To find θ(t), I would need to integrate the angular velocity, ω(t), which can be found by integrating the radial acceleration, a_r(t):
ω(t) = ∫a_r(t) dt = At^5/5 + C
Using the initial condition, ω(0) = 0, we can solve for C and get ω(t) = At^5/5.
Thus, θ(t) = ∫ω(t) dt = At^6/30 + C
Using the initial condition, θ(0) = 0, we can solve for C and get θ(t) = At^6/30.
Finally, plugging this into the equation for distance, we get:
S(t) = RAt^6/30

To display the particle's acceleration in polar coordinates, we can use the formula a_r = ω^2R, where ω is the angular velocity. Using the values we found earlier, we get:
a_r(t) = (At^5/5)^2 * R = A^2Rt^10/25

To display the particle's acceleration in Cartesian coordinates, we can use the equations x = Rcosθ and y = Rsinθ, where θ = At^6/30. Differentiating these equations with respect to time, we get:
vx = -Rsin(At^6/30) * (A^6t^5)/30
vy = Rcos(At^6/30) * (A^6t^5)/30
Thus, the acceleration in Cartesian coordinates is:
ax = -Rsin(At^6/30) * (A^6t^5)/30
ay = Rcos(At^6/30) * (A^6t^5)/30

In summary, to solve this problem, we needed to

Related to Circular Motion with time-dependent radial acceleration

1. What is circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration?

Circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path with its acceleration changing over time. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects moving in a curved path, such as planets orbiting around a star or a car turning on a circular track.

2. How is time-dependent radial acceleration different from constant radial acceleration?

The main difference between time-dependent radial acceleration and constant radial acceleration is that in the former, the acceleration changes over time, while in the latter, the acceleration remains constant. This means that the velocity and position of an object in circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration will also change over time, while in constant radial acceleration, they will remain the same.

3. What factors affect time-dependent radial acceleration in circular motion?

The main factors that affect time-dependent radial acceleration in circular motion are the velocity of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. As these factors change, the acceleration will also change, resulting in a time-dependent acceleration.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration, the centripetal force is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity as it moves along the path. The magnitude of the centripetal force also changes over time, in accordance with the changing acceleration.

5. How is circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration applied in real-life situations?

Circular motion with time-dependent radial acceleration is applied in many real-life situations, including satellite orbits, amusement park rides, and car racing. It is also essential in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, in the universe. Engineers and scientists use this concept to design and analyze various systems and devices that involve circular motion.