Circular Motion with static friction of race car

In summary, the Formula 1 cars approach curves by following a red path on the outside, cutting through to the inside, and then drifting back to the outside. However, a shorter blue path exists, but drivers do not follow it. This is because the time to travel the red path (tred) is shorter than the time to travel the blue path (tblue). This can be proven by using the equations m.g.μs=m.V2/r and T= 2∏r/V, and taking into account the maximum speed of the cars while making a circular motion. The shorter time for the red path is due to the fact that it is a half circle, while the blue path includes two straight sections in addition to
hannam

Homework Statement

In Formula 1 race, the cars approach curves
from the outside, cut through to the inside, and
then drift again to the outside (red path AA’ in the
figure). However, the blue path (BB’) in the figure
is shorter. Then why do not the drivers follow the
shortest path? Give answer to this question by
proving that tred (time to travel red path) is shorter
than tblue (time to travel blue path). Only given
values are RA = 32 m and RB = 10 m, and static
friction coefficient of the road is
μs =1.2. Assume
cars make motion with constant speed throughout
the path.
Important: The speeds of the cars do not change
due to static or kinetic frictions. However, only
static friction acts to the car as a centripetal force when the car makes a circular motion.
Therefore, first find maximum possible speed of a car while making a circular motion.

Homework Equations

m.g.μs=m.V2/r
T= 2∏r/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried m.g.μs=m.V2/r equation and found V max values for both cars (19,3 for the car on the red path and 10.8 for the blue path)
and then for T values i used equation 2∏r/V and found T for blue path is shorter. but in the question it wants me to prove that tred is shorter :/
i attached the picture of question.
where am i wrong? thanks for helpp!

Attachments

• Ads?z.png
    Ads?z.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very interesting question, hannam. It is a treat to work on it!
I get your 19.3 and 10.8 (actually I have 19.4, maybe because I use g=9.81). But I conclude the opposite - the red path is quicker. During my calculation I first made a huge mistake, which maybe is why your calc didn't work out. I took the distance to be πr in both cases, but if you look closely at the blue path, the distance is πr PLUS TWO STRAIGHT SECTIONS. Yes, πr not 2πr because its only a half circle.

i didnt see the straight lines and of course its half circle so it should be πr :) yess i found it thank you so much :smile:

Related to Circular Motion with static friction of race car

1. What is the concept of circular motion with static friction in a race car?

Circular motion with static friction in a race car refers to the physics behind a car's ability to make sharp turns while maintaining traction on the road. It involves the combination of centripetal force, which keeps the car moving in a circular path, and static friction, which prevents the car from slipping or skidding.

2. How does static friction affect a race car's performance?

Static friction is crucial for a race car's performance as it allows the car to maintain traction on the road and make sharp turns at high speeds. Without static friction, the car would slip and slide, making it difficult to control and potentially causing accidents.

3. What factors influence the amount of static friction in circular motion of a race car?

The amount of static friction in circular motion of a race car is influenced by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road surface, the weight and speed of the car, and the radius of the turn being made. These factors determine the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the car before it begins to slip or skid.

4. Can static friction be increased in a race car?

Yes, static friction in a race car can be increased by increasing the weight of the car, which increases the normal force between the tires and the road. Additionally, using tires with a higher coefficient of friction and properly maintaining them can also increase the amount of static friction.

5. How do race car drivers use the concept of static friction in circular motion to their advantage?

Race car drivers use the concept of static friction to their advantage by understanding how different factors, such as speed, weight, and tire traction, affect the car's ability to make turns. They can adjust their driving techniques and make strategic decisions, such as changing tires, to optimize the amount of static friction and improve their performance on the track.