Circular Motion: Why Centripetal Accel Negative in i Dir & Positive in j Dir?

In summary, circular motion is when an object travels in a circular path at a constant speed, while centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle. The direction of centripetal acceleration is negative in the i direction and positive in the j direction, as it is perpendicular to the velocity of the object. It can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r. Centripetal acceleration differs from tangential acceleration in that it causes a change in direction, while tangential acceleration causes a change in speed.
haha1234

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why the centripetal acceleration is negative in i direction and positive in j direction?

Attachments

• ???.png
    ???.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
haha1234 said:
Why the centripetal acceleration is negative in i direction and positive in j direction?
From B, which way does the vector -i cos 35 + j sin 35 point?
What direction would you expect the centripetal acceleration to be in?

Likes 1 person
I recommend graphing the vector on your diagram, then graphing the vector alone. Plotting vectors always helps! Good luck.

Related to Circular Motion: Why Centripetal Accel Negative in i Dir & Positive in j Dir?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion occurs when an object travels in a circular path at a constant speed.

2. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves along a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

3. Why is the centripetal acceleration negative in the i direction and positive in the j direction?

This is because the direction of the centripetal acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object. In circular motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing, so the direction of the acceleration also changes. In the i direction, the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, hence it is negative. In the j direction, the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, hence it is positive.

4. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent to the circle. Centripetal acceleration causes a change in direction, while tangential acceleration causes a change in speed.