Circular motion under gravity; a car travelling on hills

In summary: Moving at the speed found in (b), what would your normal force be at the bottom of the dip?// Given my confusion in (a), I'm having issues conceptualizing this one. But, I believe it should also be equal to mg, or mac, but not both.Your normal force would be mg at the bottom of the dip.
AJKing

Homework Statement

A car moves along a straight, but hilly road, at a constant speed. There is a crest and dip in this road, both with a radius of 250m.

a) As the car passes over the peak of the crest, the normal force is half the 16kN weight of the car. What is the normal force at the bottom of the dip?

// Here I'm already noticing that circular acceleration must be equal to gravity. so that 16kN = 2N = m(g+ ac). The normal force is a contact force. It opposed what is imposed, given the surface it's sitting on. In this case, the normal force equals mg or the force towards the centre of the circle. But not both. Why is that?​

b) What is the greatest speed that the car can move without leaving the road at the top of the crest.

// Once you pass the crest, you're relying on gravity to maintain your circular motion. So if ac>g at the peak, then your velocity will be too great for gravity to keep you on that curve. Your maximum velocity is v = √(gr)​

c) Moving at the speed found in (b), what would your normal force be at the bottom of the dip?

// Given my confusion in (a), I'm having issues conceptualizing this one. But, I believe it should also be equal to mg, or mac, but not both.​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AJKing said:

Homework Statement

A car moves along a straight, but hilly road, at a constant speed. There is a crest and dip in this road, both with a radius of 250m.

a) As the car passes over the peak of the crest, the normal force is half the 16kN weight of the car. What is the normal force at the bottom of the dip?

// Here I'm already noticing that circular acceleration must be equal to gravity. so that 16kN = 2N = m(g+ ac). The normal force is a contact force. It opposed what is imposed, given the surface it's sitting on. In this case, the normal force equals mg or the force towards the centre of the circle. But not both. Why is that?​
Let's step back to the basics. I'm hoping that using this will alleviate any confusion.

Newton's second law of motion, expressed a little more generally than it sometimes is, states:

[tex] m \vec a = \sum_i \vec F_i [/tex]

In other words, an object's mass times its acceleration is equal to the sum [that is, vector sum] of all forces acting on that object.

So now ask yourself, "what are the forces acting on the car?"

The force of gravity is the car's weight, and that's already given to you in the problem statement. The normal force is the only other force acting on the car. And the magnitude of that force is given to you as well.

So just sum them up as vectors (don't forget to pay attention to their directions) and you know what your [itex] m \vec a [/itex] is.

You've already demonstrated that you know how to find [itex] v [/itex] after you've calculated [itex] a [/itex], so I'll let you take it from there. :smile:
b) What is the greatest speed that the car can move without leaving the road at the top of the crest.

// Once you pass the crest, you're relying on gravity to maintain your circular motion. So if ac>g at the peak, then your velocity will be too great for gravity to keep you on that curve. Your maximum velocity is v = √(gr)​
That looks right to me :approve:

But just for practice (and clarity), can you find the same answer by using the method I discussed in above? (It's the same procedure, except the normal force is equal to zero. :wink:)

I think you are off in your analysis of part a? Off by a sign I think? See below.

Attachments

• 10 8 12178.jpg
    10 8 12178.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 671

Related to Circular motion under gravity; a car travelling on hills

1. How does gravity affect circular motion on hills?

Gravity plays a major role in circular motion on hills. It provides the centripetal force necessary to keep the car moving in a circular path, while also pulling the car downward towards the center of the Earth.

2. Does circular motion on hills require a specific speed?

Yes, circular motion on hills requires a specific speed in order to maintain a constant radius of curvature. If the car travels too fast, it may fly off the hill due to the centrifugal force. If it travels too slow, it may not have enough centripetal force and will slide down the hill.

3. How does the angle of the hill affect circular motion?

The angle of the hill plays a significant role in circular motion. The steeper the hill, the more centripetal force is required to keep the car on the hill. This means that the car will need to travel at a higher speed to maintain circular motion.

4. What happens to circular motion on hills if the car's weight or mass changes?

If the car's weight or mass changes, the circular motion on hills will also be affected. An increase in weight or mass will require a higher centripetal force and speed to maintain circular motion, while a decrease in weight or mass will require a lower centripetal force and speed.

5. Are there any other factors that affect circular motion on hills?

Yes, besides gravity, speed, and the angle of the hill, other factors that can affect circular motion include the car's tires and friction. The type and condition of the tires will impact the car's ability to maintain traction on the hill, while friction can either assist or hinder the car's circular motion depending on its direction and magnitude.