Circular Motion Regarding Car Sliding on a Curve

In summary: I'm stuck.In summary, the car can go around the curve at a maximum speed of 26.2 m/s if the coefficient of static friction is .70.
Neek 007

Homework Statement

What is the maximum speed at which a car can negotiate a level curve of 100m without sliding if the coefficient of static friction is .70?

Homework Equations

Ffr≤ coefficient of frictionFn
F=ma
Fc=mv2/r
Cir.=2pir
I know there are a couple more, but I'm not sure which ones.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know mass is not a factor here.
I think I'm supposed to plug in a formula into another formula. I'm thinking to plug in the force of friction formula(first formula) into F=ma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neek 007 said:

Homework Statement

What is the maximum speed at which a car can negotiate a level curve of 100m without sliding if the coefficient of static friction is .70?

Homework Equations

Ffr≤ coefficient of frictionFn
F=ma
Fc=mv2/r
Cir.=2pir
I know there are a couple more, but I'm not sure which ones.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know mass is not a factor here.
I think I'm supposed to plug in a formula into another formula. I'm thinking to plug in the force of friction formula(first formula) into F=ma.
Yup, that would work. And here's a couple of questions to help you along:

1. What else is Fn eqivalent to? (If you have to, draw a force diagram to help figure this out.)
2. What is a, given that the car is moving in a circle as it moves around the curve?

Ah, thank you so much. I got the right answer, 26.2 m/s.

Neek 007 said:
Ah, thank you so much. I got the right answer, 26.2 m/s.

Ok. I'm doing a small assignment about drifting at the moment! I can see that you figured out something, that might be similar to drifting.

My assignment is as following:

Describe some aspects of the phenomena drifting you'll find interesting, being a requirement that you use math, and or physics to explain.

Could you guys maybe help me out a little bit on this one?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles involved. In this case, circular motion and friction are the key concepts. The maximum speed at which a car can negotiate a curve without sliding can be determined by considering the forces acting on the car.

The first step would be to calculate the centripetal force required to keep the car moving in a circular path. This can be done using the formula Fc=mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the car, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the curve.

Next, we need to consider the maximum force of static friction that the tires can exert on the road. This is given by the formula Ffr≤ μFn, where μ is the coefficient of static friction and Fn is the normal force between the tires and the road. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the car, which is given by the formula Fn=mg.

Therefore, we can set up the following inequality to determine the maximum speed:

Ffr≤ μFn
mv^2/r ≤ μmg

Solving for v, we get:

v ≤ √(μrg)

Substituting the given values of μ=0.70, r=100m, and g=9.8 m/s^2, we get the maximum speed as:

v ≤ √(0.70*100*9.8) = 26.38 m/s

Therefore, the maximum speed at which the car can negotiate the curve without sliding is approximately 26.38 m/s or 95.0 km/h. It is important to note that this is the theoretical maximum speed and in reality, other factors such as the condition of the road surface and the driver's skill can affect the actual speed at which the car can safely negotiate the curve.

Related to Circular Motion Regarding Car Sliding on a Curve

What causes a car to slide while going around a curve?

A car slides on a curve due to the centripetal force acting on it. This force is directed towards the center of the curve and is responsible for keeping the car in its circular path. When the force is not strong enough, the car may slide outwards and lose control.

How does the speed of a car affect its circular motion on a curve?

The speed of a car has a direct impact on its circular motion on a curve. The faster the car is moving, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep it in its circular path. If the car is moving too fast, it may exceed the available centripetal force and slide outwards.

What role does friction play in circular motion on a curve?

Friction between the tires and the road is essential in providing the centripetal force needed for a car to move in a circular path on a curve. Friction helps to prevent the car from sliding outwards and allows it to maintain its trajectory. However, too much friction can also cause the car to lose control.

How do different factors, such as weight and tire tread, affect circular motion on a curve?

The weight of a car affects its circular motion on a curve because it determines the amount of centripetal force needed to keep the car in its path. A heavier car will require a greater centripetal force. The condition of the tires, including their tread, also plays a crucial role in maintaining traction and preventing the car from sliding on a curve.

What can a driver do to maintain control while driving on a curve?

A driver can maintain control while driving on a curve by reducing their speed, especially in wet or slippery conditions. They can also make sure their tires are in good condition and properly inflated. It is important to stay focused and avoid sudden movements or braking while on a curve to prevent sliding. In extreme cases, the driver can also apply the brakes lightly to slow down and regain control.