Circular Motion Problems: Solving for Speed, Period, and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses three separate physics problems: a plane's speed needed to keep the sun stationary relative to passengers, the period and gravitational acceleration of satellites in geosynchronous orbit, and the speed and acceleration of a swinging ball with a given tension and angle. The speaker asks for guidance on how to approach these problems and requests that the listener show their own work or ask their own questions for help.
ysk1
I'm stuck on the questions below.
Please tell me how to solve them.
Thank you.

1. How fast must a plane fly along the Earth's equator so that the sun stands still relative to the passengers? In which direction must the plane fly, east to west or west to east? Give your answer in km/hr. The radius of the Earth is 6400 km.

2. Satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. The altitude of a satellite's orbit is 3.58 x 10^7 m.
a. What is the priod of a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?
b. Find the value of g at this altitude.

3. A 2.0 kg ball swings in a vertical circle on the end of an 80-cm-long string. The tension in the string is 20 N when its angle from the highest point on the circle is theta = 30 degrees.
a. What is the ball's speed when theta = 30 degrees?
b. What are the magnitude and direction of the ball's acceleration when theta = 30 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
ysk1 said:
I'm stuck on the questions below.
Please tell me how to solve them.
Thank you.

1. How fast must a plane fly along the Earth's equator so that the sun stands still relative to the passengers? In which direction must the plane fly, east to west or west to east? Give your answer in km/hr. The radius of the Earth is 6400 km.

2. Satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. The altitude of a satellite's orbit is 3.58 x 10^7 m.
a. What is the priod of a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?
b. Find the value of g at this altitude.

3. A 2.0 kg ball swings in a vertical circle on the end of an 80-cm-long string. The tension in the string is 20 N when its angle from the highest point on the circle is theta = 30 degrees.
a. What is the ball's speed when theta = 30 degrees?
b. What are the magnitude and direction of the ball's acceleration when theta = 30 degrees?
Please show us what you have tried to solve these problems

At least try to solve a portion of the problem. This could be ... I know the Earth spins at 1 revolution per day = 2 pi radians per day, and I know that the Earth is 3950 miles in radius. What do I do now?

At least put forth some question YOU have, not just post a question.

Related to Circular Motion Problems: Solving for Speed, Period, and Acceleration

1. What is circular motion of a plane?

Circular motion of a plane refers to the movement of an aircraft in a circular path around a fixed point, with the direction of motion constantly changing. This type of motion is commonly seen in airplane flights, where the plane follows a circular path around the earth.

2. What causes circular motion of a plane?

Circular motion of a plane is caused by the centripetal force, which is the force that pulls the plane towards the center of the circular path. This force is necessary to keep the plane moving in a circular path, as the plane naturally wants to move in a straight line due to its inertia.

3. How is circular motion of a plane different from straight-line motion?

Circular motion of a plane is different from straight-line motion because in circular motion, the direction of motion is constantly changing, while in straight-line motion, the direction remains constant. Additionally, in circular motion, there is always a centripetal force acting on the plane, while in straight-line motion, there may not be any external forces acting on the plane.

4. What factors affect the circular motion of a plane?

The factors that affect the circular motion of a plane include the speed of the plane, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the plane. A higher speed will require a greater centripetal force to maintain the circular path, while a smaller radius will also require a higher centripetal force. The mass of the plane also plays a role in determining the amount of centripetal force needed.

5. How is circular motion of a plane used in aviation?

Circular motion of a plane is used in aviation for various purposes, such as making turns, following flight paths, and performing aerobatic maneuvers. Pilots use their knowledge of circular motion to control the movements of the plane and maintain stability during flight. Additionally, satellites in orbit around the earth also exhibit circular motion, which is essential for their functioning in communication and navigation systems.