Circular Motion on a Hemisphere: Finding Speed from Geometric Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a small object in uniform circular motion on a hemisphere with a radius of r. The speed of the object is being sought, and equations (1) and (2) are used to find it. After substituting values and solving for tanθ, it is found to be equal to 3/4. The final speed is calculated to be 3√5gr/10.
IIK*JII

Homework Statement

As shown in attached figure, a small object is in uniform circular motion in a horizontal plane, on the smooth of a hemisphere (radius:r). The distance between the object's plane of motion and the hemisphere's lowest point is [itex]\frac{r}{5}[/itex]

What is the speed of the object?

Homework Equations

ƩF=[itex]\frac{mv2}{r}[/itex] ...(1)

Ncosθ=mg ...(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

From (1)
and I get ƩF from FBD wrote in attached figure ƩF=Nsinθ

From (2) I knew that N=[itex]\frac{mg}{cosθ}[/itex] ..(3)

substitute (3) in (1) in got gtanθ=[itex]\frac{v2}{r}[/itex] ..(4)

and I try to find tanθ from geometric of hemisphere

First, I try to find the radius (let it is r') of this mass at r/5 from the lowest point of hemisphere

If I look in the picture and use pythagoras r' = (r2-([itex]\frac{4r}{5}[/itex]))1/2
∴r' = [itex]\frac{3r}{5}[/itex]
Thus; tanθ = 3
substitute in (4) v = √3gr

but the answer is [itex]\frac{3√5gr}{10}[/itex]...

Or I get tanθ wrong or use wrong geometric condition of hemisphere ?

help is appreciate

Attachments

• hemisphere2.JPG
    hemisphere2.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 664
Physics news on Phys.org
Your tanθ should be equal to (3/5)r/(4/5)r=3/4

tanθ=v2/r'g
v2=3/4x3/5rg=3/4x3/5grx5/5=3.3.5gr/4.5.5

Oh! thanks azizlwl :wink:

i get it this is an easy one but i can't notice o:)

Related to Circular Motion on a Hemisphere: Finding Speed from Geometric Conditions

1. What is the definition of circular motion in a hemisphere?

Circular motion in a hemisphere refers to the movement of an object along a circular path on the surface of a hemisphere. This type of motion is characterized by a constant radius and a continuously changing direction.

2. What causes circular motion in a hemisphere?

Circular motion in a hemisphere is caused by a combination of centripetal force and inertia. The centripetal force acts towards the center of the circular path, while the object's inertia causes it to resist changes in its motion, resulting in circular motion.

3. How is circular motion in a hemisphere different from circular motion on a flat surface?

The main difference between circular motion in a hemisphere and on a flat surface is the presence of a curved surface. In a hemisphere, the object's velocity and acceleration vectors are constantly changing due to the curvature, while on a flat surface, the object's velocity and acceleration vectors remain constant.

4. What are some real-life examples of circular motion in a hemisphere?

One common example of circular motion in a hemisphere is a roller coaster ride. As the roller coaster car moves along the track, it follows a circular path on the surface of a hemisphere, providing riders with a thrilling experience. Another example is a satellite orbiting around the Earth, which follows a circular path on the surface of the Earth's hemisphere.

5. How is circular motion in a hemisphere related to centripetal force?

Circular motion in a hemisphere is closely related to centripetal force, as the force is necessary to maintain the object's circular path. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts perpendicular to the velocity of the object and towards the center of the circular path, keeping the object in constant motion around the hemisphere.