Circular Motion: On a Ferris Wheel

In summary, when the student is at the bottom of the Ferris wheel's arc, the magnitude of the normal force on her body is 185 N. When the wheel's velocity is doubled, the normal force on the student at the top of the wheel will be 921.75 N.
r34racer01
On a Ferris Wheel

A chemistry student with a mass of 75 kg is riding a steadily moving Ferris wheel. When she is at the top of the Ferris wheel, the normal force from the seat on to her body has a magnitude of 550 N.

a) What is the magnitude of the normal force on her body when she is at the bottom of the Ferris wheel's arc?
b.) What would the normal force be on the student at the top of the wheel if the wheel's velocity were doubled? FN =-7.25

F = (mv^2)/R

Well I managed to solve for b by figuring out FN = 4(mg - 550) - 4(mg) = -7.25
But I'm really stuck on a. I don't understand why it just wouldn't be 550.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use F = ma for the person at the top point. I want to take "down" as positive because I know the centripetal force ma must be down:
mg - 550 = ma (assuming the seat pushes UP on the person).
Here the a is the circular acceleration v^2/r. Another way to look at it is that gravity provides the centripetal force Fc plus 550 extra:
mg = Fc + 550. You may prefer to change all the signs so up is positive - and acceleration is negative.

Delphi51 said:
Use F = ma for the person at the top point. I want to take "down" as positive because I know the centripetal force ma must be down:
mg - 550 = ma (assuming the seat pushes UP on the person).
Here the a is the circular acceleration v^2/r. Another way to look at it is that gravity provides the centripetal force Fc plus 550 extra:
mg = Fc + 550. You may prefer to change all the signs so up is positive - and acceleration is negative.

Ok so I'm a little more confused. Are you saying that at the bottom of the wheel, Fc = Normal force?

Never mind I figured it out.

Fc = mg - N so Fc = 735.75 -550 = 185
Mv^2 / r = 185 so 185 / M = v^2 / r = 2.47

so again Fc = mg - N so N = 75(2.47) + 735.75 = 921

Related to Circular Motion: On a Ferris Wheel

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant radius and a constant speed.

2. How does a Ferris wheel demonstrate circular motion?

A Ferris wheel has a circular structure and rotates around a fixed point, making it a perfect example of circular motion. The riders on the wheel experience a constant change in direction and acceleration, even though their speed remains relatively constant.

3. What factors affect the circular motion of a Ferris wheel?

The size and speed of the Ferris wheel, as well as the mass and position of the riders, can all affect the circular motion of the wheel. The force of gravity also plays a significant role in the motion.

4. How does centripetal force keep the riders on a Ferris wheel?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular motion. In the case of a Ferris wheel, the centripetal force is provided by the structure of the wheel and the tension in the cables. This force keeps the riders from flying off the wheel and allows them to maintain a circular path.

5. Why do Ferris wheels gradually increase in speed?

Ferris wheels are designed to gradually increase in speed to provide a smooth and enjoyable ride for the riders. As the wheel rotates, the riders at the top experience a slower speed than those at the bottom due to their different positions and distances from the center. By gradually increasing the speed, the riders at the top can catch up to those at the bottom, creating a more uniform and comfortable experience.