Circular Motion of a space station Problem

In summary, the space station needs to rotate at a speed of 79.81 m/s in order for an effect equal to gravity at the Earth's surface to be felt.
kye6338
Hi,
I was hoping I could get some help on these problems. Here's the first problem:
1. A projected space station consists of a circular tube that is set rotating about its center (like a tubular bicycle tire). The circle formed by the tube has a diameter of about D = 1.30km. What must be the rotation speed (in revolutions per day) if an effect equal to gravity at the surface of the Earth (1g) is to be felt?

So here's what I did: I converted the diameter from km to m, then got the radius, which is 650 km. Then, I found the velocity of the station by doing v= sqrt r x g . I got 79.81 m/s. And then I used the formula T= 2PiR/V ...and I got 51.17. My question would be what are the units at this point? I assumed it was revolutions per second, then converted to revolutions per day, but that was not correct. Maybe I'm missing a step, so please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier so substitute the values you were given at the very end. Only consider the center of mass of the space station. This allows you to write the following:

[tex]v=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{C}{T} = \frac{2\pi (R + d)}{T}[/tex]

and

[tex]a=\frac{v^2}{(R+d)}[/tex]

where "R" is the radius of the Earth "d" is the distance from the surface of the Earth. I hope it helps.

Do you mean substituting the values given in the problem into those equations? If I did that, wouldn't I have two unknowns with v and T?

You can find V with some energy equations, and T is the time of one revolution of the satelite. Notice those are just the equations for average velocity and centripetal acceleration.

He was pointing out that it is easier (and less likely to induce error) if you solve the problem in terms of its variables first, THEN plug in numbers at the very end.

kye6338 said:
Hi,
I was hoping I could get some help on these problems. Here's the first problem:
1. A projected space station consists of a circular tube that is set rotating about its center (like a tubular bicycle tire). The circle formed by the tube has a diameter of about D = 1.30km. What must be the rotation speed (in revolutions per day) if an effect equal to gravity at the surface of the Earth (1g) is to be felt?
One is asked to find a rotational speed [itex]\omega[/itex] such that the force exerted on a mass (m) would be equivalent to mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface, 9.81 m/sec2.

One could simply use a force balance mg = mv2/r = m[itex]\omega^2[/itex]r.

Also, check units on the radius.

For some insight, see -

angular velocity,
centripetal force, and
centripetal acceleration.

Last edited:

Related to Circular Motion of a space station Problem

1. What is circular motion in the context of a space station?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point. In the case of a space station, it is the motion of the station around the Earth.

2. How is the circular motion of a space station maintained?

The circular motion of a space station is maintained through a combination of its forward velocity and the Earth's gravitational force. The station's velocity provides the necessary centripetal force to keep it in orbit around the Earth.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and tangential velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, while tangential velocity is the speed at which the object moves along its circular path. In the case of a space station, the angular velocity is constant, but the tangential velocity changes as the station moves closer or farther from the Earth.

4. How does the radius of the space station's orbit affect its circular motion?

The radius of the space station's orbit is directly related to its tangential velocity and the period of its orbit. A larger radius will result in a slower tangential velocity and a longer period, while a smaller radius will result in a faster tangential velocity and a shorter period.

5. Can the circular motion of a space station be affected by external forces?

Yes, the circular motion of a space station can be affected by external forces such as atmospheric drag or gravitational pull from other celestial bodies. This is why constant adjustments and corrections are needed to maintain the station's orbit and prevent it from drifting off course.