Circular motion/conical pendulum?

In summary, the just taut part would be when the mass is attached to the 1m string, but can only be at a position 1m below the top of the pole - so the mass is just in a taut position, but not in a position that requires a force to hold it in place. If the mass were attached to the 2m string, it could be at any position below the pole, but would require a force to keep it in that position. faster speeds would require the mass to take off and fly in a circle.
jiboom
one end of a light inelastic string is attached to a point A vertically above a point O on a smooth horizontal plane and at a height h above it. The string carries a particle P of mass m at its other end. WHEN JUST TAUT the string is inclined to the vertical at an angle S

if P moves in a horizontal circle,centre O,with speed v,show that

v^2<= hg tan^2 s

im reading this as the particle is on the smooth plane,as the circle centre is O,so my equations of motion are,with T=tension,r=rad of circle,R= reaction force

R+Tcos S-mg=0
Tsin S=mv^2/r

i know r=htan S

i know at speed V string is just taut,but putting T=0 makes no sense, so how to proceed?if i put T>0 i still need to get rid of the reaction force.

regarding the just taut part. on another question i had 2 strings attached to a particle at one end, and the other ends of the strings were attached at points in a vertical line. the paricle moved in circle at a speed which just made strings taut. to do the question i had to let the tension in the bottom string = 0. so what does just taut mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
jiboom said:
one end of a light inelastic string is attached to a point A vertically above a point O on a smooth horizontal plane and at a height h above it. The string carries a particle P of mass m at its other end. WHEN JUST TAUT the string is inclined to the vertical at an angle S

if P moves in a horizontal circle,centre O,with speed v,show that

v^2<= hg tan^2 s

im reading this as the particle is on the smooth plane,as the circle centre is O,so my equations of motion are,with T=tension,r=rad of circle,R= reaction force

R+Tcos S-mg=0
Tsin S=mv^2/r

i know r=htan S

i know at speed V string is just taut,but putting T=0 makes no sense, so how to proceed?if i put T>0 i still need to get rid of the reaction force.

regarding the just taut part. on another question i had 2 strings attached to a particle at one end, and the other ends of the strings were attached at points in a vertical line. the paricle moved in circle at a speed which just made strings taut. to do the question i had to let the tension in the bottom string = 0. so what does just taut mean?

Imagine you make an amusement ride, with a small/toy aeroplane tethered to the top of a pole, but merely traveling around on the ground.
You could have the aeroplane travel slowly in a circle, keeping the tether tight.
The centripetal force required would be small, as the aeroplane is traveling slowly. If that centripetal force is supplied by the tether, then the tether would be also supplying a small vertical force on the aeroplane , so that the reaction force from the ground would be smaller than if the aeroplane was stationary.
If the aeroplane travels faster, the force supplied by the tether has to increase, to provide a larger centripetal force, and so a larger vertical force as well, so the reaction force would reduce.
There will exist a speed where the reaction force would be reduced to zero.
Travel any faster and the aeroplane would have to take off [and fly in a circle of larger radius, but less distance below the top of the pole]

That scenario parallels your problem, and I hope stimulated your thoughts about the situation

jiboom said:

For ease of explanation I will assign some measurements - so I can refer to them.

I view this question as , for example, a 2m string attached to the top of the pole, and a 1.5 m string attached to a point 1m lower. A mass is attached to the other end of each string

You can draw a profile diagram using a compass and ruler

The 2m string means the mass can only be in a position 2 m [or less] from the top of the pole - so draw a 3m vertical line, then a quarter circle arc, radius 2, centred at the top of that line.

The 1.5m string means the mass can only be 1.5m, or less from a point 1m below the top of the pole - so add a second quarter circle, radius 1.5m, centred at 1m below the top of the pole.

[You may want to do your diagram in cm to fit it onto a sheet of paper]

You can now identify possible positions of the mass: at first somewhere on the 2m arc and then, from the point of intersection, somewhere on the 1.5m arc.

If the particle is hanging , stationary, the 2m string will be taught, and the 1.5m string will be limp [as its ends are only 1 m apart]. The mass will be on the low point of the 2m arc in your diagram.

If the particle moves slowly in a circle, it may be making a circle of radius 0.5m.
The 2m string will be tight, and the 1.5m string will still be limp. the mass will be at a point on the 2m arc.

As the speed increases, eventually both strings will be taught: the mass will be at the point of intersection of the two arcs.

You can use geometry [cosine rule] to show that at that point, the 2m string makes an angle of 46.5675o with the pole.

At first, the tension in the 2m string will be large, while the 1.5m string will have a tension of approx zero. You could calculate the speed necessary for this situation to exist.

If the speed is increased slightly, the tension in the 1.5m string will increase and the tension in the 2m string will drop.
Together the tensions supply just enogh force to keep tha mass circling at the point.

Increase further and we reach a point where the tension in the 2m string has dropped to zero, and the mass is entirely supported in its motion by the 1.5 m string.

Go a little faster and the mass will move to a position on the 1.5m arc, where the 1.5 m string is tight and the 2m string is slack.

If the mass travels really fast, the 1.5m string will be almost horizontal. TA that poiint the mass is only 1.8m from the top of the pole [use pythagorus] showing the 2m string is certainly slack.

In your problem you should have set the tension in each string to zero in turn and could get two different speeds as an answer. The lower speed means bottom string almost slack, the higher speed means top string almost slack.

PeterO said:
Imagine you make an amusement ride, with a small/toy aeroplane tethered to the top of a pole, but merely traveling around on the ground.
You could have the aeroplane travel slowly in a circle, keeping the tether tight.
The centripetal force required would be small, as the aeroplane is traveling slowly. If that centripetal force is supplied by the tether, then the tether would be also supplying a small vertical force on the aeroplane , so that the reaction force from the ground would be smaller than if the aeroplane was stationary.
If the aeroplane travels faster, the force supplied by the tether has to increase, to provide a larger centripetal force, and so a larger vertical force as well, so the reaction force would reduce.
There will exist a speed where the reaction force would be reduced to zero.
Travel any faster and the aeroplane would have to take off [and fly in a circle of larger radius, but less distance below the top of the pole]

That scenario parallels your problem, and I hope stimulated your thoughts about the situation

thanks for the replies.

so if I am getting this right, here the just taut means R=0?
then ]

Tcos S-mg=0
Tsin S=mv^2/(h tan S)

but i still can't get the condition.

i can divide the 2 to get

tan S=v^2/(hg tan S)

giving v^2=hg tan^2 S

how do i get the less than part?

is this ok reasonong?

R+Tcos S-mg=0
Tsin S=mv^2/r

R=mg-Tcos S

we have R>=0

T<=mg/cos S

and
T=mV^2/rsin S

so

mV^2/rsin S<=mgcos S

v^2<ghtan^2 S

jiboom said:
is this ok reasonong?

R+Tcos S-mg=0
Tsin S=mv^2/r

R=mg-Tcos S

we have R>=0

T<=mg/cos S

and
T=mV^2/rsin S

so

mV^2/rsin S<=mgcos S

v^2<ghtan^2 S

Not sure where tan2S comes from in your substitutions, but substitutions along those lines give the expression.

Don't forget than r = h.tanS from the geometry of the situation.

Related to Circular motion/conical pendulum?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. It involves two components: tangential velocity, which is the speed at which the object moves along the circumference of the circle, and centripetal acceleration, which is the force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

2. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob (or weight) moves along a circular path instead of a straight line. It is typically suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod, and the circular motion is caused by the tension force in the string or rod.

3. How is circular motion related to conical pendulums?

Circular motion is essential in understanding the behavior of a conical pendulum. The motion of the pendulum bob is a combination of circular motion and simple harmonic motion, as it moves in a circular path while also oscillating back and forth. The centripetal force in circular motion is replaced by the tension force in the string or rod in a conical pendulum.

4. What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, the speed of the bob, and the angle at which the string or rod is suspended. The strength of the gravitational force also plays a role in determining the motion of the pendulum.

5. How is the motion of a conical pendulum calculated?

The motion of a conical pendulum can be calculated using the equations for circular motion and simple harmonic motion. The period of the pendulum can be found using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string or rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The velocity and acceleration of the pendulum can also be calculated using trigonometric functions and the laws of motion.