Circular Motion and Gravitation of a star

In summary, the conversation was about two equal-mass stars rotating at a constant distance of 8.0 x 10^10 m and one revolution every 12.6 years. The question was why they don't crash into each other due to gravitational force and what is the mass of the stars. The attempted solution involved using equations for force, acceleration, and velocity to solve for mass, but there was a mistake in assuming the distance between the two stars was the radius instead of the actual distance between their centers of mass. The correct mass was found to be 9.6 x 10^26 kg.
Carpe Mori

Homework Statement

Two equal-mass stars maintain a constant distance apart of 8.0 x10^10 m and rotate about a point midway between them at a rate of one revolution every 12.6 yr
(a) why don't the two stars crash into one another due to the gravitational force between them
(b) what must be the mass of the stars

Homework Equations

F = G*m1*m2/r^2
F(r) = ma(r)
a(r) = v^2/r
v = 2*pi*r/T

The Attempt at a Solution

part b i said m1 = m2 = m
F = ma(r)
F(12) = m*(2*pi*r/T)^2 / r
F(12) = G*m^2 / r^2

substitution and solving for m gave me

m = ((2*pi*r)^2 * r )/ (G*T^2)

substituting i got 2.4 *10^26 kg

answer in book is like 9.6*10^26 kg

can someone point out my error(s) to account for this discrepancy?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

oh snaps i figured it out

if anyone cares...

my mistake was that in the equation for graviational attractive force (F = G*m1*m2/r^2) the r is actual distance between the two center of masses and my mistake was that i thought it was half of that distance (the radius)

so yeah...cheers?

Related to Circular Motion and Gravitation of a star

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point. This type of motion can be seen in objects like planets orbiting around a star.

2. How does gravity affect circular motion?

Gravity is the force that keeps objects in circular motion. In the case of a star, its mass creates a gravitational pull that keeps planets in orbit around it. This is known as centripetal force, which acts towards the center of the circular path.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of a star and the orbit of a planet?

The mass of a star directly affects the orbit of a planet. The greater the mass of the star, the stronger its gravitational pull will be, resulting in a faster and tighter orbit for the planet. Similarly, a lower mass star will have a weaker gravitational pull, resulting in a slower and wider orbit for the planet.

4. How does a star's mass and distance from a planet affect its gravitational pull?

A star's mass and distance from a planet both play a role in determining its gravitational pull on the planet. The greater the mass of the star, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. However, the distance between the star and the planet also affects the strength of the pull. The farther the planet is from the star, the weaker the gravitational pull will be.

5. Can a planet have a circular orbit around a star?

Yes, a planet can have a circular orbit around a star. This occurs when the gravitational pull from the star is balanced by the planet's centrifugal force, resulting in a stable circular orbit. However, most orbits are not perfectly circular and can have slight variations due to other factors such as the gravitational pull from other celestial bodies.