Circular Motion and block track

In summary, The minimum height at which a block must be started in order for it to go around the loop without falling off the track is 2R. Conservation of energy is needed, but not sufficient. Newton's 2nd law must also be applied to find the minimum speed at the top of the track.
interxavier

Homework Statement

A frictionless track contains a circular section of radius R as shown. What is the minimum height at which a block must be started in order for it to go around the loop without falling off the track?

Homework Equations

V = r*w
Fr = m*v^2/r = m*r*ω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry I don't have the diagram but you can draw the equation yourselves. I'm considering using the conservation of energy in this problem, but I don't know if it's proper way.

So initially we have:
Ei = 1/2*m*v^2 + m*g*h = 0 + mgH
Ef = 1/2*m*v^2 + m*g*h = 0 + 2mgR

Physics news on Phys.org
In particular, you know that the block falls off the track if its speed drops to zero (I'd imagine), and that the speed of the block is the same whenever it's on a given height H.

interxavier said:
I'm considering using the conservation of energy in this problem, but I don't know if it's proper way.
You'll need conservation of energy, but that's not all.

The key to this problem is that there is a minimum speed at the top of the track below which the block will lose contact. (That speed is not zero.) To find that speed, analyze the forces acting and apply Newton's 2nd law.

Related to Circular Motion and block track

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This means that the object is constantly changing direction, but the distance from the center of the circle remains the same.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a curved path, while linear motion involves a straight path. In circular motion, the direction of the object is constantly changing, while in linear motion, the direction remains constant.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the circular motion of the object.

4. How does the radius of the circular track affect the speed of the object?

The speed of the object in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that a larger radius will result in a higher speed, while a smaller radius will result in a lower speed.

5. Can an object in circular motion have a constant speed and still accelerate?

Yes, an object in circular motion can have a constant speed and still accelerate. This is because acceleration is a change in velocity, which includes changes in direction. In circular motion, even if the speed remains constant, the direction is constantly changing, resulting in acceleration.