Circular motion and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of centripetal force and its role in the motion of satellites. While at first it was thought to be similar to projectiles, it was clarified that the direction of the acceleration is constantly changing due to the satellite moving around. This is why the acceleration must be orthogonal to the velocity vector in order for the speed to remain constant. It was also mentioned that in general, satellites have elliptical orbits and not perfect circles. This means that the acceleration is not always perpendicular to the direction of motion. Additionally, the conversation touched on the idea that the change in the gravitational field is not significant enough to affect the motion of satellites.
Amr Elsayed
Hello,
Here is a thing I'm confused about.
when I first knew about centripetal force and satellites. I thought of it the exact way like projectiles. I thought like :satellites do fall. If we specify a single direction, the magnitude of the velocity is really changing. I thought of its path that it's a combination between inertia outwards and gravity to the center, and that inertia overcomes gravity, so the satellite has this kind of a circular path, and the direction of motion by the 2 forces is closer to the direction of inertia pushing outwards.
I have read on the physics classroom that magnitude of velocity is not changing, but since direction is changing, a change in velocity leads to acceleration. But acceleration is also a vector quantity and it should have a direction !
It really makes no sense for me to say that direction of this acceleration is inwards
Please help me find out what's wrong right here
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the satellite is moving around, the "inwards" direction is changing and therefore also the direction of the acceleration.

Orodruin said:
Since the satellite is moving around, the "inwards" direction is changing and therefore also the direction of the acceleration.
But as far as I know, acceleration is a changing in velocity in a specified direction, right ? But what does it mean that there is an acceleration inwards in that case ?
and what about
Amr Elsayed said:
satellites do fall. If we specify a single direction, the magnitude of the velocity is really changing. I thought of its path that it's a combination between inertia outwards and gravity to the center, and that inertia overcomes gravity, so the satellite has this kind of a circular path, and the direction of motion by the 2 forces is closer to the direction of inertia pushing outwards.
Regards

Consider a vector of fixed magnitude but which changes direction in time. The tip of the vector is then always on a circle and so any small change in the vector must be tangential to the circle. Since the vector points radially, the direction tangential to the circle must be orthogonal to the vector. This is why the acceleration is orthogonal to the velocity if the speed is constant.

Mathematically, fixed speed means that ##d\vec v^2/dt= 2\vec v \cdot d\vec v/dt = 2 \vec v \cdot \vec a = 0##, ie, the velocity and acceleration are orthogonal.

Likes Amr Elsayed
Amr Elsayed said:
It really makes no sense for me to say that direction of this acceleration is inwards

If the acceleration had a component tangent to the circle then the speed of the satellite would accelerate by the magnitude of that component. But the speed is constant so any acceleration must be orthogonal to the velocity vector. This is true of any constant speed curve.

Likes CWatters, Amr Elsayed and FactChecker
there are two accelerations here one inwards called 'centripetal' and other 'tangential'. here tangential accln is 0. so actually the centripetal acceleration ie inwards is actually responsible for the change in direction, hence we say velocity is not constant as the direction is changing.
so for any curved motion the centripetal acceleration is the reason behind the change in the direction of motion.

Likes Amr Elsayed
Amr Elsayed said:
But as far as I know, acceleration is a changing in velocity in a specified direction, right ? But what does it mean that there is an acceleration inwards in that case ?
Exactly what you said, the change of the velocity vector. See bottom of this page:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cf.html

Likes Amr Elsayed
lavinia said:
But the speed is constant so any acceleration must be orthogonal to the velocity vector
SUMIT16 said:
o for any curved motion the centripetal acceleration is the reason behind the change in the direction of motion
A.T. said:
Exactly what you said, the change of the velocity vector
Okay, so it's correct to think of satellites like projectiles. the only difference is that projectiles doesn't have enough speed for their curvature to match the one of Earth ? since projectiles are accelerating downward because of gravity, it's the same with satellites that are falling on the side of earth, so acceleration is inwards the same way ? but in projectiles acceleration is in one direction no matter how much the path is curved, this seems a bit different from satellite's case for me

Amr Elsayed said:
Okay, so it's correct to think of satellites like projectiles. the only difference is that projectiles doesn't have enough speed for their curvature to match the one of Earth ? since projectiles are accelerating downward because of gravity, it's the same with satellites that are falling on the side of earth, so acceleration is inwards the same way ? but in projectiles acceleration is in one direction no matter how much the path is curved, this seems a bit different from satellite's case for me

In the projectile case, you are typically considering distances which are so small that the gravitational field may be considered homogeneous. This is not the case for satellites. The change in the gravitational field is not large enough to be noticeable. In general, a satellite would not have a circular orbit either. Newton's laws of motion result in orbits which are elliptical. For these orbits, the acceleration is not perpendicular to the direction of motion.

Likes Amr Elsayed
Orodruin said:
In the projectile case, you are typically considering distances which are so small that the gravitational field may be considered homogeneous. This is not the case for satellites. The change in the gravitational field is not large enough to be noticeable. In general, a satellite would not have a circular orbit either. Newton's laws of motion result in orbits which are elliptical. For these orbits, the acceleration is not perpendicular to the direction of motion.

That means the velocity of the satellite changes due to attitude, it changes every time there is a difference between its curvature and curvature of earth" when centripetal force and path of the satellite are not orthogonal " but this has no contradiction with what I said, right ?
You explained here before why acceleration needs to be orthogonal not to affect speed. but I'm not sure that I get what orthogonal acceleration means. it is always changing in direction, that's why the satellite just moves without getting pulled to that location on earth, right ?

Amr Elsayed said:
Okay, so it's correct to think of satellites like projectiles. the only difference is that projectiles doesn't have enough speed for their curvature to match the one of Earth ?
Yes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cannonball

Amr Elsayed said:
but in projectiles acceleration is in one direction no matter how much the path is curved, this seems a bit different from satellite's case for me
There is no difference, Both are accelerated towards the center of the Earth.

Amr Elsayed said:
I'm not sure that I get what orthogonal acceleration means. it is always changing in direction
Yes, it is.

Last edited:

Related to Circular motion and acceleration

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path, with a constant distance from a fixed point. This motion can be either uniform, where the object moves at a constant speed, or non-uniform, where the speed changes along the circular path.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is a force that acts towards the center of the circular path. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path, as it continuously changes direction due to its inertia.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In circular motion, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, which means it is experiencing an acceleration. This acceleration is called centripetal acceleration and is always directed towards the center of the circular path.

4. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving along a curved path, while linear motion is movement along a straight path. In circular motion, the object's velocity is constantly changing due to its changing direction, whereas in linear motion, the velocity remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion in everyday life include the motion of a carousel, a Ferris wheel, or a satellite orbiting the Earth. Other examples include the motion of a spinning top, a race car turning around a track, and the swinging of a pendulum.