Circular mgomentum - Tension of a string.

In summary, the tension of the string in this scenario can be found by using the centripetal force equation, taking into account the mass, velocity, and radius of the circular motion. The force of gravity does not play a role in this horizontal circular motion. The centrifugal force is equal to the centripetal force and is responsible for keeping the mass in its circular path.
Ripe
Circular momentum - Tension of a string.

Homework Statement

A body of mass 1kg is tied to a string and rotates on a horizontal frictionless table. If the length of the string is 40.0 cm and the speed of revolution is 2m/s, find the tension in the string.

2. The attempt at a solution

Since the two forces acting on the string is gravity and tension, and the momentum is horizontal, it means that Ty (vertical component of the tension) is equal and opposite to the gravity, and thus, the net force is Tx component (which would thus also be the centripetal force). Hence, we can find the tension of the string by finding the centriputal acceleration, and consequently the magnitude of that force, then use pythagoras theorem to find the tension.

My problem here is that I'm not quite sure about the relation of the length of the string and the radius of the circle around which the mass moves. I tried to hold my hand still whilst drawing a circle with my pencil and noticed that the diameter was very close to the length of the pencil, but I'm not sure if that is enough to assume that the radius must be 20cm. I think that if someone helps me out with this part, I'll most likely be able to solve the question.

EDIT: Another thing which confuses me is that in the book, it says that the magnitude of the tension is 10m. However, As the mass is 1kg, the magnitude of gravity should be 10N, and thus so should the Ty component. That means that the tension has to be at least greater than 10 (as it is the hyoptenuse if we imagine the two components and it as a right-angled triangle).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force of gravity has no role to play here. The circular motion takes places on the horizontal table. The forces acting in the horizontal direction are the tension and the centrifugal force. There is no component of weight in the horizontal direction.

Ah! I didn't pay any attention at all to the fact that it says horizontal table. I'm aware of the fact weight has no horizontal direction. But since its on the horizontal table, we can assume that the net force on the vertical direction is 0, correct? Also, what would the centrifugal force be?

Ripe said:
Ah! I didn't pay any attention at all to the fact that it says horizontal table. I'm aware of the fact weight has no horizontal direction. But since its on the horizontal table, we can assume that the net force on the vertical direction is 0, correct? Also, what would the centrifugal force be?

Yep, the net force in vertical direction is 0.
Centrifugal force=[itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

That's centriputal force, isn't it? Also, I was under the impression that centripetal force is more of a description of a force than an actual force. On that basis, isn't the only force the horizontal tension force which ACTS like a centriputal force?

Last edited:
Since the string tension is always perpendicular to the path of the mass (in this case a circular path), then the force the string exerts onto the mass is a centripetal force.

Related to Circular mgomentum - Tension of a string.

1. What is circular momentum?

Circular momentum, also known as angular momentum, is the measure of an object's rotational motion. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the object's mass and its rotational speed.

2. How is circular momentum related to tension of a string?

The tension of a string is directly related to circular momentum through the conservation of angular momentum. This means that as the tension of a string increases, the angular momentum of the system also increases.

3. How does the tension of a string affect circular momentum?

The tension of a string affects circular momentum by providing the centripetal force necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. As the tension increases, the object's speed also increases, resulting in a higher circular momentum.

4. How can we calculate the tension of a string in a circular motion?

The tension of a string in a circular motion can be calculated using the formula T = (mv^2)/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. Can the tension of a string ever exceed the circular momentum?

No, the tension of a string can never exceed the circular momentum because it is the centripetal force that is responsible for maintaining the circular motion. If the tension exceeds the circular momentum, the object would break free from its circular path.