Circular flange bending stress problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the bending stress of a circular flange under specific loading conditions. One approach involves idealizing the flange into a square component, while the other involves analyzing it as two simply supported beams. The latter approach is recommended, using a cantilever analysis with the force in each bolt and the moment arm being taken into consideration. The results may not be exact but will be conservative.
n707jt

Homework Statement

Hi guys

I've got a problem on hand which has haunted me for sometime and I thought it might be a good idea to post it here to ask for your opinions.

As you can see in the picture, I've got a circular flange. What I am intending to do is to simply find out the bending stress of the circular flange. The loading conditions are shown in the picture too. Simply put, a jack loading acts on the center bottom of the circular flange while 4 bolts that are supposed to be inserted into the smaller holes will exert a reaction force.

I've tried to use a method from Roark's (see page 502, year 2002 if you have the book) to idealised the flange into a square component (highlighted in the picture below with dimensions) but a mate told me that might not have been an accurate idea. I've included my workings below for your reference.

Presentation1.jpg

Homework Equations

According to Roark's

σmax = βW/t²

where,

W (force applied) = 23888.86N
β (value obtained from table in Roark's) = 0.84
t = 0.84 mm

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula above, I've managed to obtain a σmax = 50.1 MPa.

My mate has told me that another more accurate idea of obtaining a value is to idealised it into 2 simply supported beams (red rectangles). He said that the bending stress can be obtained by halfing the W. Then if the σmax is below the UTS of the flange material, then by similarity deduction, the circular flange will be able to withstand the full load.

Slide2.jpg

Which one would have been a better and more accurate idea? Please help! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2 simple beam approach looks pretty good, but I would calculate the force in each bolt, then analyze a quarter of the plate as if it were a cantilever, with the single bolt force applied at the center of its hole, and the moment arm being the perpendicular distance from the bolt centerline to the tangent of the circle where the thick and thin part of the plates meet. Then it's just MC/I for the bending stress, where, in calculating I, the width of the cross section would be the length of that tangent in the quarter plate. The results will be conservative, not exact.

Related to Circular flange bending stress problem

1. What is a circular flange bending stress problem?

A circular flange bending stress problem is a type of mechanical engineering problem that involves calculating the stress on a circular flange due to bending forces. This can occur in various applications such as piping systems, pressure vessels, and structural components.

2. How is the bending stress on a circular flange calculated?

The bending stress on a circular flange is calculated using the basic bending stress formula: σ = Mc/I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the flange, and I is the moment of inertia of the flange cross-section.

3. What factors affect the bending stress on a circular flange?

The bending stress on a circular flange is affected by several factors including the magnitude and direction of the bending forces, the geometry and material properties of the flange, and the support conditions at the connection points.

4. How can the bending stress on a circular flange be reduced?

The bending stress on a circular flange can be reduced by increasing the flange's cross-sectional area, using a stronger material, reducing the bending moment, or providing additional support at the connection points.

5. What are the potential consequences of high bending stress on a circular flange?

If the bending stress on a circular flange exceeds its yield strength, it can lead to plastic deformation and failure of the flange. This can result in leaks, structural damage, and potentially hazardous situations in industrial applications.