Circuit with 2 batteries when one has a reversed polarity

In summary, connecting a 12 volt battery and a 6 volt battery in series with reversed polarities will result in a total voltage of 6 volts. However, this can be dangerous and damaging to the batteries due to heat generation and potential fire hazards. It is not recommended to do this in practice.
johann1301
What happens if you take let's say a 12 volt battery and connect it to a lightbulb(not LED). Well... the lightbulb lights up obviously! But then connect a 6 voltage battery also(in series), but with reversed polarity (against the current that is). What happens then?

Will there be a shortage of some sort, or will the lightbulb give half the effect/shine half as bright? (or something else maybe??)

If the battery is connected with the same polarity, the total voltage would be 18V(12V+6V)(so I've learned). Will it in this case be 12V-6V=6V?

Thanks;) (excuse my english)

Science news on Phys.org
You have the right answer...6volts...

In practice the 12 volt battery will force current thru the smaller battery and likely ruin it in short order. Depending on the internal resistances of the batteries, heat will be generated
and damage results. NEVER do this in practice because I'm pretty sure with powerful enough batteries, like those in a typical car, fire or at least melting will occur.

You can read a little bit about ideal voltages sources here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_voltage_source#Ideal_voltage_sources

Thanks;)

Related to Circuit with 2 batteries when one has a reversed polarity

1. What happens when one battery in a circuit has reversed polarity?

When one battery in a circuit has reversed polarity, the flow of electricity through the circuit is disrupted. This can cause the circuit to malfunction or not work at all.

2. Can a circuit still function if one battery has reversed polarity?

In most cases, a circuit will not function properly if one battery has reversed polarity. This is because the flow of electricity is disrupted and the circuit cannot operate as intended.

3. How can I tell if a battery in my circuit has reversed polarity?

You can tell if a battery in your circuit has reversed polarity by using a multimeter to measure the voltage of each battery. If one battery has a negative voltage instead of a positive voltage, it has likely been reversed.

4. What are the dangers of a circuit with a battery that has reversed polarity?

A circuit with a battery that has reversed polarity can be dangerous, as it can cause damage to electronic components or even start a fire. It is important to always double check the polarity of batteries before using them in a circuit.

5. How can I fix a circuit with a battery that has reversed polarity?

If you have accidentally reversed the polarity of a battery in your circuit, you can fix it by simply reversing the battery back to its correct orientation. However, if the circuit has already been damaged, you may need to replace the damaged components or the entire circuit.