Circuit that controls time and distance for a 7.6v vehicle?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit to control the duration of a motor's travel and the use of a 555 timer in this circuit. The circuit found online is a pulse-width modulated speed controller, which may not be suitable for the desired task of stopping the motor after a given duration. It is suggested to use two 555 timers, one as a monostable circuit and the other as an astable, to achieve the desired control. However, without seeing the schematic, it is unclear how practical this solution would be.
lonely_nucleus
I have to design a circuit that can control how long it takes for it to travel a given distance. I do not have much progress. I am wondering what type of circuit this is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
lonely_nucleus said:
I have to design a circuit that can control how long it takes for it to travel a given distance. I do not have much progress. I am wondering what type of circuit this is?

Cruise control?

I found this circuit. Anyone know if it can control the duration for the current to flow? I am going to be using about 7.6 volts but this circuit is rated for 12 volts. Will it still work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FA804-DC-MOTOR-SPEED-CONTROL-12V-2A-20W-HHO-PWM-CIRCUIT-KIT-NEW-/320979230658?hash=item4abbda5fc2

I am looking for this overall
7 volts dc brushed motor time control circuit

Last edited:
Since the 555 is rated to work with a Vcc from 3 to 15V, the circuit should work as designed at 7.6V.

However, I am not quite sure how your problem is defined. The circuit you showed is a pulse-width modulated speed controller (aka chopper circuit). It will control the speed of the motor, which is one way to control "how long it takes for it to travel a given distance." But the motor will keep traveling at that speed forever.

Your second post implies that you want to stop the motor after a given duration, which is a different approach to the problem.

The 555 timer on the ebay product will be configured as an astable multivibrator, with the on-board pot controlling the duty cycle. A duration controller would use a 555 configured as a monostable multivibrator. The circuits are not very different, and a bit of cutting and soldering could probably turn one into the other. Without seeing the schematic, it is hard to tell how practical this would be.

You might use two of these in series: a monostable circuit to control the duration followed by an astable to control the speed.

Related to Circuit that controls time and distance for a 7.6v vehicle?

1. How does the circuit control time and distance for a 7.6v vehicle?

The circuit uses a combination of electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors to regulate the flow of electricity to the vehicle's engine. By controlling the amount of power supplied to the engine, the circuit can adjust the speed and distance traveled by the vehicle.

2. Can the circuit be adjusted for different voltage levels?

Yes, the circuit can be designed to work with various voltage levels. However, the components used may need to be adjusted accordingly to ensure proper functioning and safety.

3. How accurate is the circuit in controlling time and distance?

The accuracy of the circuit depends on the design and calibration of its components. With proper design and calibration, the circuit can be very precise in controlling time and distance for the vehicle.

4. Is the circuit easily programmable or adjustable?

It depends on the specific design of the circuit. Some circuits may have programmable components, while others may require manual adjustments. Consult the manufacturer or designer for more information on the specific circuit's capabilities.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a circuit to control a vehicle's time and distance?

As with any electronic component, there is always a risk of malfunction or failure. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and regularly maintain the circuit to ensure safe operation of the vehicle. Additionally, always use caution and common sense when operating any vehicle, regardless of the technology used to control it.