Circuit Simplification (Equivalent Resistance)

In summary: The first thing you need to do is combine the 6-ohm resistors together into a 12-ohm resistor. Next, you need to find the equivalent resistor for the circuit. In this case, the equivalent resistor is the 4-ohm resistor. Finally, you combine the 4-ohm resistor with the 12-ohm resistor to get the final answer of 1/Rt=1/12+1/12+1/12.
Bcranger 0

Homework Statement

Determine the equivalent resistance of this circuit.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5137/19910965.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I realize that both of the 6 ohm resistors on each side are in series with each other. However, I am stuck after that part since I do not recognize a series or parallel connection from that point onwards. This is really in part due to the empty stretch of wire connecting the left and right vertical wires to the middle two wires. There are obviously no other resistors the 12 ohm equivalent resistors can connect to; there are also no two nodes that are shared by the 12 ohm equivalent resistor and another resistor.

Any clue as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2 vertical shorted connections.
You can see it clearer if you reduce each length until it becomes a point.

Right so I got an answer of 4 ohms as the equivalent resistance. Anyone concur?

Can you show your working.

Right, so first I combined the 6ohm resistors on each side into 12 ohm resistors. Then I redrew the circuit into deltas/triangles. This allowed me to find Rab by taking the 12 ohm on the right in parallel with the 6 ohm on the bottom half of the midsection. Then I took that equivalent resistor in series with the 14 ohm resistor. Then I took that entire equivalent resistor computed so far in parallel with the 9 ohm resistor and also (12 ohm left resistor in parallel with the 12 ohm top midsection resistor and then that equivalence in series with the top 6 ohm resistor).

IMG_2005.jpg

As your answer.
1/Rt=1/12 +1/12+1/12

Ok thanks, so I did get the right answer but did I solve it wrong?

Not sure what you mean by "delta configs". If you collapse the wires connecting the central 9-ohm to the upper 6-ohm and lower 14-ohm, it becomes more readable as a straightforward parallel-series reduction. 4-ohms looks right.

Try looking at it like this Then start on the right hand side.

Attachments

• 19910965.png
    19910965.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 594

Related to Circuit Simplification (Equivalent Resistance)

1. What is circuit simplification?

Circuit simplification, also known as equivalent resistance, is the process of reducing a complex circuit into a simpler one by combining resistors in series and parallel.

2. Why is circuit simplification important?

Circuit simplification is important because it allows us to calculate the overall resistance of a circuit and determine how much current will flow through it. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot and design circuits.

3. How do I simplify a circuit?

To simplify a circuit, you can use two main approaches: the series and parallel approach. For series circuits, you can add all the resistors together to find the equivalent resistance. For parallel circuits, you can use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... to find the equivalent resistance.

4. What is the formula for equivalent resistance?

The formula for equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3..., and in a series circuit, it is R = R1 + R2 + R3...

5. How do I know if my circuit simplification is correct?

You can check your circuit simplification by calculating the equivalent resistance using both the series and parallel approach. The answers should be the same. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance and compare it to your calculated value.