Circuit Questions -- Electrons flowing in wires and a resistor

In summary: I meant that the charges would repel and then began accumulating in the opposite direction.In summary, if more electrons flow in the right hand wire than in the left hand wire, in what location do the excess electrons accumulate?
r0306

Homework Statement

0d5e10c2b462ce173f383813dad18e6f.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have selected what I thought were the right choices in the original question. Resistors reduce current so electron flow should have been greater on the right. Also, the electrons flow opposite to current so potential is higher on the left. Potential energy is lost over resistors as heat so electrons have a higher potential energy when they start off but kinetic energy should not increase since energy was converted to heat instead.I am confused why my answer is wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
r0306 said:

Homework Statement

0d5e10c2b462ce173f383813dad18e6f.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have selected what I thought were the right choices in the original question. Resistors reduce current so electron flow should have been greater on the right. Also, the electrons flow opposite to current so potential is higher on the left. Potential energy is lost over resistors as heat so electrons have a higher potential energy when they start off but kinetic energy should not increase since energy was converted to heat instead.

I am confused why my answer is wrong. Please help!
The answers in the figure are correct. Are those your answers?

Added in Edit:
Not all of those answers are correct.

SammyS said:
Yes. That was what I put but my answers were incorrect.

SammyS said:
r0306 said:
Yes. That was what I put but my answers were incorrect.
Sorry. I misread the Original Post.

If more electrons flow in the right hand wire than in the left hand wire, in what location do the excess electrons accumulate?

SammyS said:

If more electrons flow in the right hand wire than in the left hand wire, in what location do the excess electrons accumulate?
Wouldn't they accumulate in the right hand wire then?

SammyS said:

I still don't get what this entails. Does this mean that current will be less in the resistor?

r0306 said:
Resistors reduce current so electron flow should have been greater on the right.
It's not that resistors reduce current in a circuit, but if you have two similar circuits and you add a resistor to one of them, then the current will be less than in the other circuit.

r0306 said:
Wouldn't they accumulate in the right hand wire then?
If electrons began accumulating somewhere, what do you think might happen?

Nathanael said:
It's not that resistors reduce current in a circuit, but if you have two similar circuits and you add a resistor to one of them, then the current will be less than in the other circuit.If electrons began accumulating somewhere, what do you think might happen?
This would cause a greater potential difference between that point and the end of the circuit.

r0306 said:
This would cause a greater potential difference between that point and the end of the circuit.
I was thinking more on a small scale... if you have charges accumulating wouldn't you expect them to repel each other? This would cause the charges to spread back out if they began to accumulate.

Nathanael said:
I was thinking more on a small scale... if you have charges accumulating wouldn't you expect them to repel each other? This would cause the charges to spread back out if they began to accumulate.
I'm having trouble putting this in perspective. If the charges spread back out, wouldn't they just push backwards towards the x direction?

r0306 said:
I'm having trouble putting this in perspective. If the charges spread back out, wouldn't they just push backwards towards the x direction?
Which direction they push depends on which points you are considering. The main idea is that the charges resist accumulation. If they begin to accumulate, they will repel until the charge density is uniform again. I'm sure there are some technical points which are beyond me, but I'm just giving you a hand-wavey explanation of why the current tends to be uniform throughout a circuit.

If you meant that the charges will repel and then began accumulating in the opposite direction, well then the electric force would began opposing that accumulation. So which ever way it accumulates, the electric force tries to set it even again. Couple this with the fact that a non-uniform current implies a non-uniform charge density and the logical result is that current tends to be uniform throughout a circuit.

Nathanael said:
Which direction they push depends on which points you are considering. The main idea is that the charges resist accumulation. If they begin to accumulate, they will repel until the charge density is uniform again. I'm sure there are some technical points which are beyond me, but I'm just giving you a hand-wavey explanation of why the current tends to be uniform throughout a circuit.

If you meant that the charges will repel and then began accumulating in the opposite direction, well then the electric force would began opposing that accumulation. So which ever way it accumulates, the electric force tries to set it even again. Couple this with the fact that a non-uniform current implies a non-uniform charge density and the logical result is that current tends to be uniform throughout a circuit.
I see what you mean now! Since current through a circuit is uniform, the number of electrons per second should not change either. Thank you!

Related to Circuit Questions -- Electrons flowing in wires and a resistor

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is used to limit the flow of electrons in a circuit. It helps to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit and protect components from damage.

2. How does the size of a resistor affect the flow of electrons?

The size of a resistor, also known as its resistance, determines how much it restricts the flow of electrons. A higher resistance means fewer electrons can flow through the circuit, while a lower resistance allows more electrons to pass through.

3. What happens to the flow of electrons when a resistor is added in series?

When a resistor is added in series to a circuit, the flow of electrons decreases. This is because the resistor adds more resistance to the circuit, limiting the flow of electrons.

4. Can a resistor change the voltage of a circuit?

Yes, a resistor can change the voltage of a circuit. This is because it affects the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and according to Ohm's law, voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance.

5. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage across the resistor divided by the current flowing through it. It can also be determined by using the color code bands on the resistor, which indicate the resistance value.