Circuit Problem electrical engineering

In summary, 231 ohms is the equivalent resistance of the entire network as "seen" from the terminals AB.
izelkay

Homework Statement

Here's the question:
http://puu.sh/171ls

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin. It says R(AB) = R(L) = 301 ohms. What does that mean? Does R(AB) mean the resistance from A to B? Is that the total resistance? The total resistance is equal to 301 ohms which is also equal to R(L)? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
izelkay said:

Homework Statement

Here's the question:
http://puu.sh/171ls

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin. It says R(AB) = R(L) = 301 ohms. What does that mean? Does R(AB) mean the resistance from A to B? Is that the total resistance? The total resistance is equal to 301 ohms which is also equal to R(L)? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, RAB is the equivalent resistance of the entire network as "seen" from the terminals AB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I think I got it. R should equal roughly 174 ohms.

Looks good :smile:

Hi! Note that the circuit can be drawn as a resistance R in series with the parallel combination of: (a) a resistance of R and (b) a series combination of the resistances R and R(L).

Then, the circuit can be drawn as a resistance of R in series with the parallel combination of R and (R + R(L)).

First, determine the equivalent resistance of the parallel portion of the circuit, R and R + R(L).

[tex]\frac{1}{R(Parallel)} = \frac{1}{R + R(L)} + \frac{1}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow R(Parallel) = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R + R(L)} + \frac{1}{R}}[/tex]

Multiply the numerator and denominator of the right side of the equation by [itex]\frac{R(R + R(L))}{R(R + R(L))}[/itex] to get the following:

[tex]R(Parallel) = \frac{R(R + R(L))}{R + R + R(L)} = \frac{R^2 + R(L)}{2R + R(L)}[/tex]

You are then told that R(AB) must equal R(L). This becomes the following:

[tex]R + \frac{R^2 + R(L)}{2R + R(L)} = R(L)[/tex]

Then, multiply both sides of the equation by (2R + R(L)) to get the following:

[tex]R(2R + R(L)) + R^2 + R(L) = (2R + R(L))R(L) = 2RR(L) + (R(L))^2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2R^2 + RR(L) + R^2 + R(L) = 2RR(L) + (R(L))^2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 - RR(L) + R(L) - (R(L))^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 - 301R + (301) - (301)^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 -301R + 301 - 90601 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 - 301R - 90300 = 0[/tex]

Applying the quadratic equation (I'll leave the details up to you) yields the following:

[tex]R = 230.7675926 ohms ≈ 231 ohms[/tex]

You will want to double check my result; but I think that I did everything okay.

^If I plug 231 in for R, Rab comes out to be about 390 ohms.

174 for R gives me 301 ohms for Rab though.

Related to Circuit Problem electrical engineering

1. What is a circuit in electrical engineering?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows the flow of electric current. It is made up of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected by wires or traces, and is used to control the flow of electricity to perform a specific function.

2. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery or power supply), conductive wires or traces, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and perform a specific function.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can also be represented as R = V/I. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit can be calculated by simply adding up the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, so that the current flows through each component in the circuit one after the other. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, with each branch having its own separate path for the flow of current. This means that in a series circuit, the current through each component is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same.

5. How do you troubleshoot a circuit problem?

To troubleshoot a circuit problem, you can follow a step-by-step process:
1. Check the power source to make sure it is supplying the correct voltage.
2. Inspect the wiring and connections for any damage or loose connections.
3. Test individual components using a multimeter to check for faulty or damaged components.
4. Check for any short circuits or open circuits in the circuit.
5. Replace any faulty components and re-test the circuit.
6. If the problem persists, consult an expert or refer to the circuit's schematic diagram for further troubleshooting.