Circuit diagram for a power supply that outputs about 25kv

In summary, an AC/DC converter from 230V(AC)/25kV(DC) would be necessary to power a high voltage transformer. Depending on what you are doing, a TV flyback transformer might be a good choice.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Does anyone have a circuit diagram for a power supply that outputs about 25kv at a few mA dc.
25kv is just a ball park figure it could be 22 or 30 kv, or even better adjustable from 22 to 30.
Input would be 230v ac
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Basically you want an AC/DC converter from 230V(AC)/25kV(DC). Basically 110:1, or 80-130:1 if one is doing a range of voltages. I imagine one could use a tap on the low voltage side.

There are probably off the shelf power supplies that do that.

You might make do with a TV flyback transformer using a small 230VAC variac to adjust the voltage.

Depending on what you are doing, you might simply use the entire television plugged into a larger variac, complete with remote on/off switch :smile: It won't work if the flyback supply tries to regultage the output voltage back to nominal, though.

Last edited:

TV flyback would be a good choice for the project, however the flybacks are designed to work at high frequencies. A 60 Hz input from the outlet will be absorbed by its core.

Luckily, flybacks have multiple primary windings needed to setup a relaxation type of oscillator using a transistor or two. Supply power is DC, so you need an AC/DC stage first.

The simplest way to adjust the output voltage is to vary the frequency because there is a relationship between the frequency and magnetic core power absorption. You can't change the frequency of the relaxation type of oscillator as you would have alter the primary windings, the solution would be a variable square wave oscillator driving the primary windings. Frequency 10 KHz to 20 KHz could do, depending on the core.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/fly-drv2.gif

waht said:
TV flyback would be a good choice for the project, however the flybacks are designed to work at high frequencies. A 60 Hz input from the outlet will be absorbed by its core.

I expected someone might call me on this, good work. I was referring to the entire inverter + output rectifier. That'll teach me to use shorthand.

As Astronuc was talking about, it would be a lot easier for a one-off, to buy one, than build one.

As for a roll your own, you're schematic doesn't identify the core, the supplier of the core or the wind ratio or wire gauges to use. Gotta have them. What's the part number of the output rectifier? (Does he want DC or AC?)

I didn't find any suppliers of 25KV flyback inverters that would sell in quantities of one. Given that, I would scavange the supply from a television. The remaining problem with this approach is guestimating the voltage developed as evidenced by the size of the television screen and profile. Wolram would need a TV guy for that.

Last edited:

Wolram. Do you want AC or DC output?

wolram said:
Does anyone have a circuit diagram for a power supply that outputs about 25kv at a few mA dc.
25kv is just a ball park figure it could be 22 or 30 kv, or even better adjustable from 22 to 30.
Input would be 230v ac
Thanks.
Does it have to be 230v input? If not then my first choice would be the flyback also. It's much lighter and cheaper. And it will probably already have the HV rectifier with it.
http://members.misty.com/don/samflyhv.html

Phrak said:
Wolram. Do you want AC or DC output?

DC output, i intend to build an (ionic lifter), if i can buy a ready made PSU it will be better as i can use it for other projects.
Thanks for all the help guys.

wolram said:
DC output, i intend to build an (ionic lifter), if i can buy a ready made PSU it will be better as i can use it for other projects.

OK, you might try digikey. You might also consider a neon sign light transformer, where you have to supply the rectifiers.

Last edited:

wolram said:

Do you mean filter instead of lifter, woolie?

berkeman said:
Do you mean filter instead of lifter, woolie?

No, I'm pretty sure he means one of these.

I built one these before with balsa wood and aluminum foil. For it to lift off you need more than 30 KV, and make the structre extremely light. I used a flyback transformer for the power supply, but had to over drive it up to 50 KV to increase the current. It worked for a while until the secondary winding arked and burned.

negitron said:
No, I'm pretty sure he means one of these.

Huh, never seen that before. Thanks negitron.

waht said:
I built one these before with balsa wood and aluminum foil. For it to lift off you need more than 30 KV, and make the structre extremely light. I used a flyback transformer for the power supply, but had to over drive it up to 50 KV to increase the current. It worked for a while until the secondary winding arked and burned.

So you're saying this is a pretty safe activity for this OP to be working on... :-p

They had this on Mythbusters a few months ago. It worked well.

It was supposedly an antigravity machine but probably works by generating an air flow downwards.

A van De Graaf generator or a Wimshurst machine could probably generate high voltages at enough current to make it work.

vk6kro said:
They had this on Mythbusters a few months ago. It worked well.
It was supposedly an antigravity machine but probably works by generating an air flow downwards.

Yep. The electric field ionizes air and accelerates the electrons upwards and the ions downwards; the latter having much greater mass than the former, almost all the thrust is upwards. Neat toy, but likely not practical for large-scale applications in the forseeable future.

Related to Circuit diagram for a power supply that outputs about 25kv

1. How does a power supply produce 25kv output?

A power supply uses a transformer to step up the voltage from the input source to the desired output, in this case 25kv. The transformer has a primary and secondary winding, and by adjusting the number of windings on each, the voltage can be increased or decreased.

2. Can a power supply output 25kv safely?

Yes, a power supply can output 25kv safely if it is designed and operated correctly. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when working with high voltage power supplies.

3. What components are typically found in a circuit diagram for a power supply that outputs 25kv?

A circuit diagram for a power supply that outputs 25kv will typically include a transformer, rectifier, filter capacitors, and voltage regulator. It may also include other components such as resistors, diodes, and transistors depending on the specific design.

4. How is the output voltage of a power supply regulated?

The output voltage of a power supply can be regulated using a voltage regulator, which is a component that maintains a constant output voltage despite changes in the input voltage or load. This ensures that the power supply outputs a stable 25kv.

5. What safety measures should be taken when working with a power supply that outputs 25kv?

When working with a power supply that outputs 25kv, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment such as insulated gloves and goggles. The power supply should also be properly grounded and isolated to prevent electric shock. It is important to follow safety protocols and consult a professional if unsure about proper handling procedures.