Aliens/Intelligant Life forms, do they exist?

In summary: Originally posted by Viper In summary, there is likely alien life out there, but it is very hard to make.
Originally posted by Tail
First of all, 'life' needs to be defined. Because the chance that there are human-like beings somewhere else is pretty slim, but the chance of silicon-based life being somewhere out there might be more possible. So, what is life?

you are repeating others. (me mainly!) :wink:

Another thing is, the universe being 'infinite' (in some dimensions), or containing an infinite amount of stars and planets (unlikely, or do it seems...) doesn't mean life MUST exist somewhere else besides here. Like, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... ... n is infinite, but no two numbers are alike.

well, the universe is not infinite. but if it were you'd be right. life on other planets would be inevitable.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greetings !

Welcome to PF Tail ! :smile:
Originally posted by Tail
Another thing is, the universe being 'infinite' (in some dimensions), or containing an infinite amount of stars and planets (unlikely, or do it seems...) doesn't mean life MUST exist somewhere else besides here. Like, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... ... n is infinite, but no two numbers are alike.
I think maximus slightly misunderstood you. I do not think
you're right here. In math numbers are defined to represent
different amounts, for example, and they can indeed be infinite
and different. In an infinite Universe all that needs to be done
for life to form is for the availible materials to mix in certain
general ways so it's not reasonable for it not to happen in infinity.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

Welcome to PF Tail ! :smile:
Thanks! :smile:

I think maximus slightly misunderstood you. I do not think
you're right here. In math numbers are defined to represent
different amounts, for example, and they can indeed be infinite
and different. In an infinite Universe all that needs to be done
for life to form is for the availible materials to mix in certain
general ways so it's not reasonable for it not to happen in infinity.
Good point! I'm not sure what to say...

maximus-
I'm sorry, I just rushed through the posts without reading them carefully. I won't do that anymore.

And, as drag pointed out, you misunderstood my second point a bit...

I think that there is almost certainly life in our Universe other than on Earth, and there is a good chance that there is at least one other intellegent species. However, knowing what we do about the laws of physics, it is highly unlikely that we'll contact each other within the next thousand years or so because of the vast distances between stars (as of yet I wouldn't even consider intergalactic communication). Even if there is intellegent life close enough to contact us before that, it is quite possibly so different from terrestrial life that there might be serious communication difficulties. Obviously, since we don't know of any extraterrestrial life, no one can be sure just how different from Earth's life it could be. Unless faster than light travel is invented by one of the civilizations, any contact at all is unlikely, and visitations even less so.

We should consider that in an infinite universe everything is possible , there could even be (im not religious) a god floating around somewhere bothering his tiny creations
If you look at the vastness of space it would be arrogant to say we are the only ones to exist while on the Earth alone more than 60 millions species live:wink:

in the abundance of water the fool gets thirsty
Bob Marley

Originally posted by demoremda
We should consider that in an infinite universe everything is possible , there could even be (im not religious) a god floating around somewhere bothering his tiny creations

this is true. the problem is our universe is not infinite in size.

If you look at the vastness of space it would be arrogant to say we are the only ones to exist while on the Earth alone more than 60 millions species live:wink:

the fact that there are so many species on Earth is irrelevant. we could not isolate one species. and at one point we were all the same.

Originally posted by maximus
this is true. the problem is our universe is not infinite in size.

mmm altough I am not schooled proffesionally in physics i don't believe in boundaries, i understand part of the infinite finite models but i can't help feel our knowledge just doesn't cut it yet in comprehensing everything that's out there

the fact that there are so many species on Earth is irrelevant. we could not isolate one species. and at one point we were all the same.

I do see this as a major fact, as well as the fact that most of our universe is hydrogen, but i don't understand what you mean with isolating one species, what has that to do whith other races?
i enjoy the discussion though

remember moneo, when i told you why eternity couldn't be proven?
yes you said no one would live long enough to prove it.
-Emperor Leto II-

mmm haven't figuered the the way to work whith the font types

Originally posted by demoremda
I do see this as a major fact, as well as the fact that most of our universe is hydrogen, but i don't understand what you mean with isolating one species, what has that to do whith other races?
i enjoy the discussion though

what i mean is that each species on Earth is not a separate miracle of its own. life was not createda and evolved for each. we were all the same life at one point,but evolution steered us into different directions.

If I may borrow from Michio Kaku as well, I'd like to bring up the point he made about how if there were intelligent life, it wouldn't necessarily be within Earth's lifespan. There may have already been an alien life form or two that passed by Earth on an interstellar mission of some sort, but we were just forming unicellular organisms so they didn't bother, and by the time we became advanced enough to observe our universe, they had already died out.

I believe there is life out there, what form it might take and if its possible to communicate with it just complicates an already complicated issue.

When contemplating this question you have to make assumptions, let's assume humans are average in all respects, not evolutionally retarded or advanced, of average intelligence and so on. With no way of knowing how advanced human progress will ever reach (totally telepathic, able to control all aspects of the environment etc etc etc) we must assume we are in a stage of technological and evolutionary infancy otherwise this is as good as it may ever get. Take the age of the Universe and our current stage of human progress (assume infancy), and it would seem likely if we are average then there is little hope of ever having contact with another intelligent life form before the Universe comes to its own end (however that may be) if we agree that the speed of light is the limiting factor in the ability to communicate.

If faster than light communication or some type of time travel or instant method of transportation is discovered and developed then the chances of interaction with another totally separate form of life (or even simialr form of life) may increase slightly above what it is now, but not by too many factors only because of the distances involved. Its like buying one lottery ticket or one thousand lottery tickets, even with one thousand tickets your odds of winning are next to nothing. We have to find a way of reducing the odds to be able to find other life or have them find us.

Nuff said

Last edited by a moderator:
could life be created outside of a planet? like in a nebula or protostar cloud for instance?

that seems to me to be a greatly overlooked yet surprisingly possible suggestion.

what i mean is that each species on Earth is not a separate miracle of its own. life was not createda and evolved for each. we were all the same life at one point,but evolution steered us into different directions.

Yes off course that's true, that doesn't mean it couldn't be different on other worlds, or that the same evolution path occurs, that's the random beauty of the universe
For a good story on interstellar communication (sf but well thought out) yall should read Greg Bears anvil of stars

Originally posted by Viper
Do you think that they will ever contact us or vice versa?
I can`t believe that with all the Trillions of planets there are there is not one planet with remotely the same conditions or atmosphere of earth?

The errors in this statement are unbelievable!

1. The process of thinking never takes place while someone is producing an answer to this question. It is merely accessing already existing data and producing it, not THINKING.

2. Who is "they" and who is "us". Some organisms on Earth did not come from non-life on our Earth - they came from outerspace. Humans posess a collection of life that came from outspace to Earth via meteors.

3. "trillions" of planets? Who provided you with this number?

4. You say you can't believe not another planet has remotely our conditions. In fact scientists have identified MANY planets that have our same make-up.

Greetings !
Originally posted by PhysicsRocks88
2. Who is "they" and who is "us". Some organisms on Earth did not come from non-life on our Earth - they came from outerspace. Humans posess a collection of life that came from outspace to Earth via meteors.
Really ? And who told you that if I may ask ?
The most likely explanation still talks about hydro-thermal
vents and no solution is as yet considered too be likely
enough to be called correct.
Well, he didn't say how many trillions... :wink:
4. You say you can't believe not another planet has remotely our conditions. In fact scientists have identified MANY planets that have our same make-up.
Really ? Please, ellaborate. (Notice: he said conditions NOT
make-up.)
The errors in this statement are unbelievable!
Indeed.

Also, lighten up dude ! :smile:

Peace and long life.

BTW, I recently saw a chapter of Evolution (a remarkable
series, btw) about mating and a scientist proposed a
possibilty that says our brains evolved as a means of
sexual prowess, same as a peacock's tail. Fascinating !
(I wonder if he'll personally succeed in supporting this
idea with sufficient evidence before some feminist fanatic
shoots him... )

BTW, I recently saw a chapter of Evolution (a remarkable
series, btw) about mating and a scientist proposed a
possibilty that says our brains evolved as a means of
sexual prowess, same as a peacock's tail. Fascinating !
(I wonder if he'll personally succeed in supporting this
idea with sufficient evidence before some feminist fanatic
shoots him... )

Drag. Simply put the 100% meaning of life is to pass on your genes. More specifically, the meaning of life is to produce offspring which are able to produce their own offspring.

Absolutely positively without any doubt whatsover, every single species and every single factor, adaptation, ability, quality etc... evolved for the sole purpose of breeding.

You have eyes to see your mates, and do avoide anything which will inhibit your breeding

You have ears to hear your mates and avoid anything which will inhibit breeding.

Legs to find mates and escape anti-mating factos

SO of course the brain serves one purpose - to be more successfull at finding mates which will be able to produce offspring.

It's nothing new in biology.

Drag. Simply put the 100% meaning of life is to pass on your genes. More specifically, the meaning of life is to produce offspring which are able to produce their own offspring.

Absolutely positively without any doubt whatsover, every single species and every single factor, adaptation, ability, quality etc... evolved for the sole purpose of breeding.

You have eyes to see your mates, and do avoide anything which will inhibit your breeding

You have ears to hear your mates and avoid anything which will inhibit breeding.

Legs to find mates and escape anti-mating factos

SO of course the brain serves one purpose - to be more successfull at finding mates which will be able to produce offspring.

It's nothing new in biology.
You are correct in general. However, the specifics are still
quite debatable: Was it the advantage of the people with
the larger brains who used tools and improved them that was
the primary cause for the development of our brain (as was
thought until now) or was it the ability to attract females and control more of them directly by being smarter as well as
get rid of competition by displaying greater wit ?

Live long and prosper.

You are correct in general. However, the specifics are still
quite debatable: Was it the advantage of the people with
the larger brains who used tools and improved them that was
the primary cause for the development of our brain (as was
thought until now) or was it the ability to attract females and control more of them directly by being smarter as well as
get rid of competition by displaying greater wit ?

Live long and prosper.

Firstly, no I am correct in whole. I am trained in biology to the highest degree possible. And specifically, beyond that, trained in neuroscience.

You exactly answered yourself. HomoSapiens who were able to use tools could perhaps access food quicker, and not be the ones with no food in the end. They could use tools to fight off predators better and thus live longer and breed more.

Abslolutely every single factor and motivation is to pass on your genes. It is not ones individual choice - it is a preditermined requirement of being ALIVE.

HomoSapiens who were able to use tools could perhaps access food quicker, and not be the ones with no food in the end.
But maybe that was just the side-effect. Purhaps the primary
reason was the fact that a girl would go with the dude
who understands her better and can ammuse her and directly,
because of that, treats her better and attracts her more.

Live long and prosper.

But maybe that was just the side-effect. Purhaps the primary
reason was the fact that a girl would go with the dude
who understands her better and can ammuse her and directly,
because of that, treats her better and attracts her more.

Live long and prosper.

Error.

"go with the dude".

Pre- Homo Sapiens do not pair of life. There is no relationship between them.

Secondly, she would not "go with" anyone. A male sees a female he wishes to mate with and does it - the female has NO choice in the matter.

Greetings PR88 !
Pre- Homo Sapiens do not pair of life. There is no relationship between them.
?! Even insects have, sometimes rather ellaborate, mating rituals.:wink:
Secondly, she would not "go with" anyone. A male sees a female he wishes to mate with and does it - the female has NO choice in the matter.
We'd wish...

Live long and prosper.

Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems. :smile: :smile: :smile:

could life be created outside of a planet? like in a nebula or protostar cloud for instance?

there are such speculations...e.g., life forming in the cores of comets (heated via radioactive decay, the cores would provide shelter from space, a source of liquid water, a source of organic compounds in close contact, etc.)

obviously, there's no evidence that it has happened.

There is no evidence for this.

I think it was obvious that he was just implying a large, not exact, number.

No terrestrial planets outside our solar system have been found yet.

Simply put the 100% meaning of life is to pass on your genes.
Science can pass no such value judgement. That may be a generalized observation of gene function, but "meaning" is something else.

No scientist possesses such certainty. Also, evolution does not happen with intent (or "purpose" as you put it). Gene pool changes can occur for reasons other than better breeding. Differential success at breeding can be linked to each change perhaps.

You have eyes to see your mates...
You're stretching the point way too far.

I am trained in biology to the highest degree possible.
Such a state is not possible. Even the top biologists in the world have more they can learn from others about certain aspects of biology (at some level of expertise, one begins to specialize and become less familiar with other aspects).

You exactly answered yourself. HomoSapiens who were able to use tools
Essentially, all Homo sapiens were tool-users.

Abslolutely every single factor and motivation is to pass on your genes. It is not ones individual choice - it is a preditermined requirement of being ALIVE.

Passing on genes is certainly a big factor...but not absolute.
What do you say of those people who choose not to breed?

Originally posted by Phobos
there are such speculations...e.g., life forming in the cores of comets (heated via radioactive decay, the cores would provide shelter from space, a source of liquid water, a source of organic compounds in close contact, etc.)
Yeah, but intellegent life ?! That's just out there...:wink:

There is no intelligent life out there.
I know because an alien once told me

<h2>1. Are there any confirmed sightings of aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot confirm or deny the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been numerous reported sightings and encounters, none have been scientifically proven.</p><h2>2. What evidence do we have for the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>Currently, there is no concrete evidence that definitively proves the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. However, there are ongoing scientific efforts, such as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program, to search for signs of intelligent life in the universe.</p><h2>3. How likely is it that there is other intelligent life in the universe?</h2><p>Based on the vastness of the universe and the number of potentially habitable planets, it is highly probable that there is other intelligent life in the universe. However, the exact likelihood is still unknown and subject to ongoing scientific research and speculation.</p><h2>4. Have we ever made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence to suggest that we have made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been reported encounters and alleged communication, none have been scientifically verified.</p><h2>5. What are the potential implications of discovering aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>The discovery of aliens or intelligent life forms would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have social, cultural, and technological impacts, as well as raise ethical and philosophical questions. However, until such a discovery is made, the potential implications remain purely speculative.</p>

1. Are there any confirmed sightings of aliens or intelligent life forms?

As a scientist, I cannot confirm or deny the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been numerous reported sightings and encounters, none have been scientifically proven.

2. What evidence do we have for the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence that definitively proves the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. However, there are ongoing scientific efforts, such as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program, to search for signs of intelligent life in the universe.

3. How likely is it that there is other intelligent life in the universe?

Based on the vastness of the universe and the number of potentially habitable planets, it is highly probable that there is other intelligent life in the universe. However, the exact likelihood is still unknown and subject to ongoing scientific research and speculation.

4. Have we ever made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that we have made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been reported encounters and alleged communication, none have been scientifically verified.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering aliens or intelligent life forms?

The discovery of aliens or intelligent life forms would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have social, cultural, and technological impacts, as well as raise ethical and philosophical questions. However, until such a discovery is made, the potential implications remain purely speculative.