Circuit Analysis - Solving for unknown Voltage

In summary: SSSSSSSSS!!In summary, the author is explaining how to solve a problem using Kirchoff's Current Law. They first define a node and then use KCL to set up a system of linear equations. They get confused when they are trying to solve for the unknown, and then post their solution in a second.
salman213
1.Check Image

3. Perhaps there are other ways to solve the problem but if I use nodal analysis, I am confused on how a SUPERNODE will be formed.

my equations:(Vo-30)/1 = (Vo-v1)/4 + (Vo)/2

V2/16=3

-v1 +2vo+v2=0
--------------------------------------------------
v2 = 3*16=48

2Vo-v1=-48

v1= 2Vo+48Vo-30 (-Vo/2)= (Vo-(2Vo+48))/4

2Vo -120= Vo -2Vo-48

2Vo+2Vo-Vo=120-48Vo= 24 V

Is that right?

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
for your first KCL (Kirchoff's Current Law) equation, I don't quite understand the first term on the right-hand side. Which node have you defined to be node 1, with voltage v1?.

Also, why is V2/16 = 3 A? Doesn't that assume that ALL of the current from the current source flows into the branch with the 16 ohm resistor, and none of it flows through the voltage-controlled voltage source? Why are you making that assumption?

I have no idea what a super node is. There are so many naming conventions and techniques out there, that it's really hard to keep them straight. One of my profs even told us that the method he was teaching us was not taught by anyone else and differed from what was in the textbook. So you'll be likely to meet confusion here if you use terminology specific to your class. What I do is just define nodes and then use KCL to set up a system of linear equations that will help me to solve for the unknown(s). If that is called nodal analysis or modified nodal analysis, then so be it. I have no idea what the difference is.

Since you've clearly done a fair bit of work on it, I'll take a crack at it and post my solution in a second.

nevermind i got it. I used Pspice and got V0 is 22.345 V

and there were some errors in my equations, i figured it THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Related to Circuit Analysis - Solving for unknown Voltage

1. How do you solve for unknown voltage in a circuit?

To solve for unknown voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to determine the voltage drop across each component in the circuit. You can then use these values to calculate the unknown voltage using the appropriate equations.

2. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Ohm's Law states that the voltage (V) across a resistor is equal to the product of the current (I) flowing through it and the resistance (R) of the resistor. It is used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage drop across a resistor and to calculate unknown values of voltage, current, or resistance in a circuit.

3. How does Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) help in solving for unknown voltage?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law can be used to analyze complex circuits and determine the voltage drop across each component. By applying KVL to the various loops in a circuit, you can solve for unknown voltages.

4. Are there any other methods for solving for unknown voltage in a circuit?

Yes, there are other methods for solving for unknown voltage in a circuit, such as using Thevenin's or Norton's Theorem. These methods involve simplifying a complex circuit into a simpler equivalent circuit, which can then be used to calculate the unknown voltage using Ohm's Law or KVL.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for unknown voltage in a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for unknown voltage in a circuit include forgetting to include all components in the circuit, using the wrong units for voltage or resistance, and not considering the direction of current flow in a circuit. It is also important to double-check calculations and make sure they are accurate and consistent with the laws and principles of circuit analysis.