Circuit Analysis - Resistors and a battery

In summary, the homework statement is asking for the current through resistor R4 and resistor R6. However, the student is getting a different answer when trying to use the voltage divider equation. In the end, the student concludes that there is no current flowing through resistor R3.
jendrix
Circuit Analysis -- Resistors and a battery

Homework Statement

Hello, if you see the attached I am trying to find the current I4.My plan was to find Voltage across R4 and use Ohm's law.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have simplified the circuit down(attached pic), I thought I could use the voltage divider equation to find voltage across R4||R6 which would be equal to the voltage across R4 however I'm getting a different answer

I got 50*(3.197/(3.197+4.7)) =20V making I4= 2mA

http://i.imgur.com/vjVbcEi.png
http://i.imgur.com/6FwW7QG.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you believe that absolutely no current is flowing through R3? How do you come to that conclusion?

Hmm that makes sense, I was thinking that going by Kirchoff's voltage law that the sum of the loop on the right would=0 in which case I could use the potential divider equation.

Though it makes sense as Voltage across R3 would be the same as R2 yet if you did the voltage divider equation then you would get a different solution.

So the only way would be to put R2||R3 then do the voltage divider equation? Or is there another way?

Thanks

jendrix said:
Though it makes sense as Voltage across R3 would be the same as R2 yet if you did the voltage divider equation then you would get a different solution.

So the only way would be to put R2||R3 then do the voltage divider equation? Or is there another way?

Thanks

This whole "voltage divider" thing is, to me, a brain-dead way of going about it. Don't get me wrong, I know people use it but I just find it a distraction that leads to the kind of error that you got. Just do a full loop analysis. It will take a lot more steps than what you were trying to do but that's because what you were trying to do was wrong.

It was the way the question was worded, it guided you towards doing it that way.Personally I prefer loop analysis although my university will only let us use nodal, it gets marked incorrect if we do a loop analysis.

jendrix said:
It was the way the question was worded, it guided you towards doing it that way.Personally I prefer loop analysis although my university will only let us use nodal, it gets marked incorrect if we do a loop analysis.

Gads, I HATE that kind of crap. I had a prof once who counted my solution to a calculus problem as wrong because I used a simple method out of Thomas and he wanted us to use a more complicated method out of the book he made us use.

Well, node analysis in this case is about the same as loop analysis, so do that :smile:

Thanks, I think you're spot on, I've done it the way he wanted but I'll double check it with loop analysis to see which way is quicker, I think everybody has "their" way of doingthings and that should be acceptable.

You can use the potential divider approach, basing it on resistor R3 and all the other resistors combined into a single resistance.

What answer do you get?

NascentOxygen said:
You can use the potential divider approach, basing it on resistor R3 and all the other resistors combined into a single resistance.

What answer do you get?

I did it using the divider approach by combining R2*R3/(R2+R3) This gives 1.45kΩ

Then 50*(1.45/(1.45+4.7)

=11.79V

Then 11.79/10kΩ

=1.18mA

Thanks for the help and suggestions

1.18mA
Looks right.

Related to Circuit Analysis - Resistors and a battery

1. What is a resistor and how does it affect a circuit?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits the flow of current in a circuit. It does this by converting electrical energy into heat. The amount of resistance in a circuit is measured in ohms. Resistors are often used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit and to protect other components from damage.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated by dividing the voltage across it by the current flowing through it. This relationship is known as Ohm's Law and is represented by the equation R = V/I. The resistance of a resistor is also determined by its physical properties, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material.

3. How does a battery affect a circuit?

A battery is a source of electrical energy that provides a potential difference, or voltage, to a circuit. This voltage pushes electrons through the circuit, creating a flow of current. The type and voltage of the battery used in a circuit can impact the overall performance of the circuit, as well as the lifespan of the battery itself.

4. Can resistors be connected in series and parallel?

Yes, resistors can be connected in both series and parallel configurations. When connected in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of each individual resistor's resistance. When connected in parallel, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

5. How does the color coding on resistors work?

Resistors are color-coded to indicate their resistance value and tolerance. The colors are read from left to right, with the first two colors representing the first and second digits of the resistance value, and the third color representing the multiplier. The fourth color, if present, indicates the tolerance of the resistor. The color codes follow a specific pattern and can be easily decoded using a color code chart.