Circuit Analysis Help: Find Frequency Response Equation

In summary, The conversation discusses methods for finding the frequency response equation for a circuit in the attached photo. The suggested method is to use the nodal method and to designate the nodes between the capacitors and resistors as v3 and v4. The transfer function can then be found by solving a linear system of equations. However, the conversation also mentions difficulties in relating the equations due to the absence of v3 terms. A suggestion is then made to redraw the circuit and analyze the nodes in the diagonals of the loops. The summary concludes with a reminder to get an equation for each of the 4 nodes.
jaderberg
I have to find the frequency response equation for this circuit in the attatched photo, but i don't know how to go about analysing it as I cannot see how to do voltage loop and node analysis does not work as the two nodes are not related so nothing can be eliminated from the generated equations... any suggestions?

thanks
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3217/dsc00275ls9.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img361/dsc00275ls9.jpg/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the nodal method. You will need 4 equations. Designate the node between the two capacitors as v3 and the one between the two resistors as v4.

Assume that a voltage source, Vi, is connected to node v1. Then the transfer function will be the ratio v2/Vi, in terms of the Laplace variable s.

The first equation will be a constraint equation, simply saying that v1 is equal to Vi:

1*v1 + 0*v2 + 0*v3 +0*v4 = Vi

The third equation is derived from an application of KCL to node 3:

(-s*C)*v1 + (-s*C)*v2 + (s*C+s*C+2/R)*v3 + 0*v4 = 0

You should be able to fill in the 2nd and 4th equations.

Then solve the linear system that results and the result you get for the voltage at node v2 will be Vi times a fraction in powers of s. That fraction is the transfer function.

If you still have problems, show your work and you'll get more help.

yeah that's what i started doing, then the next equation at node v4 will be:

v1 + v2 - v4*(2RCs + 2) = 0

which does not include any v3 terms so i cannot relate the two equations to eliminate v3.

i cannot see any other nodes to analyse at this point so this is where i am stuck!

If you redraw the circuit, you will see that the first capacitor C, the R/2 resistor, the capacitor 2C and the first resistor R form a loop.
In the same way, the second capacitor C, the R/2 resistor, the capacitor 2C and the second resistor R form a loop too.
The voltages v1 and v2 are in the diagonals of the loops.

jaderberg said:
yeah that's what i started doing, then the next equation at node v4 will be:

v1 + v2 - v4*(2RCs + 2) = 0

which does not include any v3 terms so i cannot relate the two equations to eliminate v3.

i cannot see any other nodes to analyse at this point so this is where i am stuck!

You can get an equation for each of the 4 nodes.

The equation at node 4 should be:

(-1/R)*v1 + (-1/R)*v2 + 0*v3 + (2/R+2*s*c)*v4 = 0

This equation has been simplified somewhat. You add all the currents in each component connected to the node and equate the sum to zero. Here's the very lowest level equation:

1/R*(v4-v1) + 1/R*(v4-v2) + 2*s*C*(v4) = 0

If you rearrange so that each node voltage, V1, v2, v3 and v4 has a single coefficient, you should get what I gave above.

Use the same method to get the equation for node 2

Related to Circuit Analysis Help: Find Frequency Response Equation

1. What is circuit analysis and how is it helpful?

Circuit analysis is the process of understanding and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits using mathematical equations and techniques. It helps us to design and troubleshoot circuits, predict their performance, and optimize their functionality.

2. What is frequency response in circuit analysis?

Frequency response is the measure of how a circuit responds to different frequencies of input signals. It shows the relationship between the input and output signals of a circuit, and helps us to understand how the circuit behaves at different frequencies.

3. How do I find the frequency response equation for a circuit?

To find the frequency response equation for a circuit, you need to first determine the transfer function of the circuit. This can be done by using Kirchhoff's laws and other circuit analysis techniques. Once the transfer function is known, the frequency response equation can be obtained by substituting the frequency variable in the transfer function.

4. What are the different types of frequency responses in circuit analysis?

The different types of frequency responses in circuit analysis include low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-reject responses. These responses indicate how a circuit attenuates or amplifies signals at different frequency ranges.

5. How is frequency response analysis used in practical applications?

Frequency response analysis is used in various practical applications such as designing filters, amplifiers, and equalizers. It is also used in signal processing, audio engineering, and telecommunications to improve the performance of electronic devices and systems.