Circuit Analysis for Beginners: Understanding Current Flow in a Complex Circuit

In summary, the current through the component marked with a "12V" symbol is DC, while the current through the component with the "sine wave" is AC. You will have to do superposition to determine the DC currents and AC currents independently.
neptunemassif
:confused: I'm a beginner so be gentle.

Trying to figure out currents in the attached image of a ciircuit I've been pulling hair out over.

No need to fully analyze it, simply trying to determine what current (AC or DC) is flowing through each component.

More importantly, how on Earth can I tell if/where AC or DC current is flowing just by looking at the circuit, without regard to the component values?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• CIRCUIT2.jpg
    CIRCUIT2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 560
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, neptunemassif!

Your picture is really hard to read. Can you make another copy of it, only a hare larger (or size up the text)?

Also, is this a homework assignment? If so, it should really go into the homework help forums (I can move it there, if needed).

If you're a true BEGINNER.. then this circuit might be a little too hard for you.

There is a DC Voltage source (represented by the 12V battery symbol) and an AC Source (the circuit with the sine wave in it- 120V 60Hz).

So your network is going to have a mixture of DC currents and AC currents (AC currents riding on a DC offset).

You will have to do SUPERPOSITION to figure out the DC currents and AC currents independently.

For DC analysis:

-SHORT the AC source.. which will effectively prevent DC energy from flowing into the circuitry to the right of the AC source.

Now solve for the DC currents in the remaining circuit. This is easy because the CAPS are OPEN to DC and COILS are SHORT so the only path for DC current is through R1. Use Ohm's Law.

Now AC analysis:

-Short the DC source. This doesn't help you much, because all the other components in the schematic still have an effect on AC energy (no shortcuts like before). Covert all the components into impedances in the phasor domain (Zr= R< 0degrees , ZL = 2PIfL < 90 degrees, Zc= 1/(2PIfC) <-90 degrees) NOTE: f= 60Hz in your case ; PI = 3.14

For the transformer and R3, simply treat the input to the transformer as a pure resistance that has been reflected back. I'm not sure what the transofrmation of that transformer is, whatever it is, the reflected resistance should be Zreflected = (Np/Ns)^2 RL < 0 degrees

Then you should have a AC network with a series-parallel flavour which you can wrestle to submission.

Once you've done all that, there will be a few branches in your schematics with both DC and AC currents through them... and the rest should just have an AC current.

I hope I'm right... if not I just wasted 5 min proving that I'm an idiot.. haha.

I basically agree with flexifirm. Except, you seem to want to know the general approach to "solving" a circuit. There are two basic general approaches: mesh current analysis and nodal (voltage) analysis. In some cases, you must use one or the other. In the given circuit I would use mesh currents. Do you know how to do this? It is based on KCL. Work in the frequency domain, and superpose the values from the two sources as described by flexifirm.

All, thanks for the help - flexifirm, your stuff is like GOLD!
The technique of shorting the power supplies in turn helps me a lot, but the clarification on how caps and coils affect ac/dc current is what did it for me. Perhaps that's what I should have made more clear to begin with.
Back to enigma's question, yes, this was homework, and i *thought* i posetd it there but got no replies... The circuit came from my textbook, and had NO values attached to the components; the question was to determine what current was running through each component, ac or dc - looks like I need to brush up on L-C basics.
Again, thanks!

Related to Circuit Analysis for Beginners: Understanding Current Flow in a Complex Circuit

What is a circuit analysis?

A circuit analysis is the process of examining and understanding the behavior of an electrical circuit. This involves studying the flow of current, voltage, and resistance in a circuit to determine how it functions.

What is current flow in a circuit?

Current flow is the movement of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I. Current flow is essential for the functioning of a circuit as it is responsible for powering electrical devices.

What is a complex circuit?

A complex circuit is a circuit that contains multiple components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, interconnected in a complex manner. These circuits can be challenging to analyze as the current flow is affected by the individual components and their arrangement.

How do you calculate current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In other words, I = V/R. This formula can be used to determine the current flowing through each component in a circuit.

Why is circuit analysis important for beginners?

Circuit analysis is essential for beginners as it helps them understand the fundamental principles of electricity, such as current flow, voltage, and resistance. It also allows them to analyze and troubleshoot basic circuits, which is a crucial skill for anyone working with electrical systems.