Circuit Analysis: Current and Voltage Ranking

In summary: I was just trying to be a detective and figure out what was going on. Thank you for clearing that up!
orangefruit

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit at right, consisting of two identical resistors (R1 and R2) and a red LED. The battery is ideal and maintains a constant voltage of +9.0 V (i.e., V1 - V2 = +9.0 V). An ideal voltmeter is connected across the LED and R2.

EDV_Postlab_111_Fig1a.jpg

1. At point a, is the direction of the current to the right, to the left, or equal to zero?

2. Rank, from largest to smallest, the absolute values of the currents at points a, b, c, and d. If any of the currents are zero, state so explicitly.

a) a = b = c = d = 0.
b) a = b = c = d > 0.
c) a = b > c = d = 0.
d) a > b > c = d > 0.
e) a = c = d > b = 0.
f) b = c = d > a = 0.
g) c = d > b > a > 0.

3. Rank, from largest to smallest, the absolute values of the voltages across R1, R2, and the LED. If any of the voltages are zero, state so explicitly.

a) R1 = R2 = LED = 0.
b) R1 = R2 = LED > 0.
c) R1 = R2 > LED > 0.
d) R1 > R2 = LED = 0.
e) R1 > LED > R2 > 0.
f) LED > R1 = R2 = 0.

4. What, if anything, can be said about the absolute value of the reading on the voltmeter?

a) 0.0 V.
b) 9.0 V .
c) The absolute value of the voltmeter reading will be greater than 0.0 V and less than 9.0 V.

Homework Equations

V=IR. Loop Rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1, I believe it is to the right due to battery placement.
2, e because no current will want to flow through the voltmeter.
3, d because the positioning of the LED is not allowing current flow.
4, 9, because it is parallel to the battery which is parallel to the components consisting of LED and resistor.

Any help will be appreciated. I hope that getting help will clear any misconceptions I have. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I feel like I could be wrong about the first and that will ruin all of my answers

Is the LED ideal? I mean it does not let current through when reverse biased? If it is not ideal, your answer to 1) is correct. If the LED is an ideal diode, the current at a is zero.

ehild

Yes, it is reverse-biased. It will not light.

Yes, but some very small current can flow through it if it is not an ideal diode. Was it mentioned during your class?

ehild

Ah, I see. This is introductory university class. I believe all is assumed to be ideal. And since nothing more has been mentioned, it should be ideal. Thank you for prompt responses!

I want to change my answers.
First: zero.
2. all equals zero
3. LED> R1=R2=0
4. 9

But i am now confused. These answers are strictly from observation in lab. however, we did not measure currents. Is zero current correct?

orangefruit said:
I want to change my answers.
First: zero.
2. all equals zero
3. LED> R1=R2=0
4. 9

But i am now confused. These answers are strictly from observation in lab. however, we did not measure currents. Is zero current correct?

If neither breakdown of the LED nor reverse current were mentioned your answers are correct.

But a LED as every diode let's some very law current flow when reverse biased. And the reverse current becomes high if the reverse voltage exceeds the break-down voltage of the LED. That break-down voltage is between 3.5 and 5 volts, so the LED certainly breaks down when reverse biased by 9 V. At the same time, the reverse current causes voltage drop across the resistors, so the voltage across the diode is 9-2R I(reverse).

You said about observations in lab. Have you really reverse biased a LED?

ehild

Thank you. Thank you for clearing up my lacking explanation that may cause misconceptions in the future. We constructed a 2.5-5 V circuit consisting of a bulb and LED in series. The bulb accounted for our current "measurement". We did a forward and reverse biased setup. In reverse, we saw that the voltage drop across the bulb was always zero and the LED was always equal to the powersource. Neither one lit. Only lit forward-biased when the LED hit its knee-voltage. So indeed, we did not break the LED. Thank you so much, you are wonderful!

Very nice that you did not connect 9V to the LED in reverse. It would have been an expensive lab if every student broke a LED :biggrin:

A teacher has to be careful with the data in a problem he gives to the students.

ehild

Hehe, yes :D

Related to Circuit Analysis: Current and Voltage Ranking

1. What is a circuit with voltmeter and LED?

A circuit with voltmeter and LED is a basic electrical circuit that consists of a power source, a voltmeter, and an LED. The power source provides the electrical energy, the voltmeter measures the voltage in the circuit, and the LED lights up when there is a flow of current.

2. How does a circuit with voltmeter and LED work?

The power source, which can be a battery or a power supply, provides the electrical energy to the circuit. The voltmeter is connected in parallel with the LED, which means that it measures the voltage at the same time as the LED lights up. When the voltage reaches a certain threshold, the LED turns on and completes the circuit, allowing the current to flow through it.

3. What is the purpose of a voltmeter in a circuit with LED?

The voltmeter is used to measure the voltage in the circuit. This is important because it allows us to understand how much electrical energy is being used by the LED and whether the circuit is functioning properly. It also helps us to determine the correct voltage for the LED to light up.

4. How can I build a circuit with voltmeter and LED?

To build a circuit with voltmeter and LED, you will need a power source, a voltmeter, an LED, and some wires. First, connect the positive terminal of the power source to one end of the voltmeter, and the negative terminal to the other end. Then, connect the positive terminal of the voltmeter to the positive terminal of the LED, and the negative terminal of the LED to the negative terminal of the power source. Make sure all connections are secure and the LED is facing the correct direction.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when working with a circuit with voltmeter and LED?

When working with any electrical circuit, it is important to take safety precautions to avoid any accidents. Make sure to always disconnect the power source before making any changes to the circuit. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and use insulated tools. Avoid touching any exposed wires or components while the power source is connected. If you are unsure about the circuit, seek the help of a professional.