Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] circle radius 2 complex integration

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Gamma is a circle of radius 2 oriented counterclockwise.

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \int_{\gamma} = \frac{i}{2}\left[\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z+i}dz-\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z-i}dz\right]
$$

$\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}, \ \ \gamma'(t) = 2ie^{it}$

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}dz
$$

Now what can I do from here (just looking at the first integral)?

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Using the residue theorem You easily find that is $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{d z}{1+z^{2}}=0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Using the residue theorem You easily find that is $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{d z}{1+z^{2}}=0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
I know it is zero but I am not trying to obtain the result that way. I should get each integral is $2\pi i$ and when subtracted they are 0.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Gamma is a circle of radius 2 oriented counterclockwise.

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \int_{\gamma} = \frac{i}{2}\left[\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z+i}dz-\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z-i}dz\right]
$$

$\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}, \ \ \gamma'(t) = 2ie^{it}$

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}dz
$$

Now what can I do from here (just looking at the first integral)?
First off, the integral you need to evaluate is $\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z+i} = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}\,dt$, given that $\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}$, $t\in[0,2\pi]$.

To integrate that, you need to make the substitution $u=2e^{it}+i\implies\,du = 2ie^{it}\,dt$ (also note that the limits of integration change as well) such that the integral becomes $\displaystyle\int_{2+i}^{2+i}\frac{du}{u} = 0$.

The other integral is computed in a similar fashion.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
First off, the integral you need to evaluate is $\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z+i} = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}\,dt$, given that $\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}$, $t\in[0,2\pi]$.

To integrate that, you need to make the substitution $u=2e^{it}+i\implies\,du = 2ie^{it}\,dt$ (also note that the limits of integration change as well) such that the integral becomes $\displaystyle\int_{2+i}^{2+i}\frac{du}{u} = 0$.

The other integral is computed in a similar fashion.

I hope this helps!
our prof said there is no u sub for complex analysis because every closed path would be zero when that isn't always the case.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Is this valid:

$\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \left[\tan^{-1}(z)\right|_0^{2\pi}=0$

Jan 31, 2012
Is this valid:

$\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \left[\tan^{-1}(z)\right|_0^{2\pi}=0$
In real analysis, above integral equals $\arctan(2\pi)$ (the area most exist, can't be $0$)

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
In real analysis, above integral equals $\arctan(2\pi)$ (the area most exist, can't be $0$)
This is a line integral in complex analysis and I know the answer to this integral is 0.
The question is how to show it without using Cauchy Integral Formula or Residue Theory.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
our prof said there is no u sub for complex analysis because every closed path would be zero when that isn't always the case.
Once the function is in terms of real variables (in this case t), i can be treated as a constant and u substitutions are then valid...

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Once the function is in terms of real variables (in this case t), i can be treated as a constant and u substitutions are then valid...
I think I understand what my professor means. If we substitute,

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt$

The numerator is the derivative of the denominator so substitutions is viable here as well.

$\int_1^1\frac{du}{u}=0\neq 2\pi i$.

Also, $\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z+i} = 2\pi i$ by Cauchy's Integral Formula. However, the intend is not to use that. So how can you make a substitution that says the integral is 0 when we know that is simply not true.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Here is what I am thinking now.

$\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z+i} = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{x+i(y+1)}$

Let $w=y+1$. Then
$\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{x+iw} =\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z_0}$

Could this work?

Last edited:

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
If we substitute,

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt$
If you then cancel $e^{it}$ top and bottom in that fraction, you get $\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_0^{2\pi}i\,dt = \bigl[it\bigr]_0^{2\pi} = 2\pi i,$ as required.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
If you then cancel $e^{it}$ top and bottom in that fraction, you get $\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_0^{2\pi}i\,dt = \bigl[it\bigr]_0^{2\pi} = 2\pi i,$ as required.
I understand that. That wasn't the point of that example.