Circle and tangient question, AS core 2

In summary, the conversation was about finding the equation of a line that passes through the center of a circle and a point where a tangent line touches the circle. The method was to use the slope of the tangent line and the coordinates of the center of the circle to find the equation of the line. The conversation ended with the questioner realizing their mistake and finding the correct solution.
Sink41
Doing a core 2 maths question, realized i can't remember how to find where a tangient and circle meet.

The circle equation provided in question was x^2 + y^2 -10x + 9 = 0

same as (x - 5)^2 + y^2 = 4^2

Question was:

"Given that line l with gradient 7/2 is a tangient to the circle, and that l touches circle at point T

find an equation that passes through the centre of the circle and T"

i tried to find out where line and circle met but wasnt able too. In mark scheme they had a very easy way to do it (m1m2=-1 so gradient is -2/7 and you know the co-ordinates of the centre of the circle, so you use y-y1 = m(x-x1) )

So, anyway i tried to put line and circle together and realized i couldnt... this is what i did how do you do it?

What i first was say that the forumula of the straight line is 7/2x + c = y where c is a constant

i then substituted that in the circle forumula to get (x-5)^2 + (7/2x + c)^2 = 4^2

multiplied out to get (53/4)x^2 + (7c - 10)x + 9 + c^2 = 0

since there can only be one result, b^2 - 4ac = 0 so

(7c -10)^2 - 4 * (53/4) * (9 + c^2) = 0

which ends up with

102c^2 -140c + 577 = 0

which does not have a result... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The radius of a circle is always perpendicular to the tangent. What can you say about the gradient two perpendicular lines?

~H

Hootenanny said:
HINT: The radius of a circle is always perpendicular to the tangent. What can you say about the gradient two perpendicular lines?

~H
Thats the method they used in the mark scheme:

Sink41 said:
m1m2=-1 so gradient is -2/7 and you know the co-ordinates of the centre of the circle, so you use y-y1 = m(x-x1)

so gradient is -2/7, midpoint of circle is 5,0 and you get y = -2/7(x-5)
But i realized that i didnt know how to get the equation of the original line or where it meets the circle, so i thought i should ask about that here (i really shouldn't have confused it by keeping original question in my post)

Last edited:
Sink41 said:
But i realized that i didnt know how to get the equation of the original line or where it meets the circle, so i thought i should ask about that here (i really shouldn't have confused it by keeping original question in my post)

Sorry, a missunderstanding on my part. Okay, you now have the equation of the line by using, y - y1 = m(x - x1). Now, if a line and a curve intersect their x and y co-ordinates must be equal at that point. Can you go from here?

~H

ahhh i get it now you do the line going through the centre of the circle... won't bother posting calculation but:

x = 5 +/- (784/53)^0.5

thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Related to Circle and tangient question, AS core 2

1. What is the relationship between a circle and a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that intersects a circle at only one point, called the point of tangency. This point is always perpendicular to the radius of the circle at that point. In other words, the tangent line touches the circle at only one point, creating a right angle with the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line to a circle?

The equation of a tangent line to a circle can be found using the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the formula m = -1/r, where r is the radius of the circle. Then, plug in the coordinates of the point of tangency into the equation to find the y-intercept, and you have the equation of the tangent line.

3. Can a circle have more than one tangent line?

No, a circle can only have one tangent line at any given point on the circle. This is because a tangent line must intersect the circle at only one point, and a circle only has one point at any given location.

4. How do you find the length of a tangent line to a circle?

To find the length of a tangent line to a circle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, find the distance between the center of the circle and the point of tangency using the distance formula. Then, use the radius of the circle and the distance between the center and point of tangency to form a right triangle. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the length of the tangent line.

5. How are circles and tangents used in real-world applications?

Circles and tangents have a wide range of applications in real-world scenarios, including engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, tangents are used in the design of bridges and roads to ensure smooth and safe curves. In physics, the concept of a tangent is used to calculate the speed and direction of an object moving in a circular path. Additionally, the use of tangents is crucial in the development of computer graphics and 3D modeling.